Day #44

Chris Brown

"Right there. Right there. Ow, shit!" Savannah whined as I bent her leg back until her thigh was practically touching the side of her face.

"Better?" I let go of her leg and looked at her.

"I don't know, Chris." She sat up in the bed and sighed.

"Just two more months."

"They're going to be the longest two months ever, I already feel it."

"And you're gonna be fine." I kissed her on her forehead and got off the bed. As soon as I walked away I heard Savannah throwing up in the bucket we set beside the bed for moments like this.

"Ahhh." She moaned wiping her mouth off.

"It's so hard seeing you like this. You don't even know." I tried to laugh it off but it was hard.

"Do me a favor and go get me some aspirin, baby. For these damn headaches."

"You shouldn't be taking that. I'll get you some Tylenol."

"Just get me whatever, I honestly don't even care at this point." She cleared her throat putting the bucket back on the ground and then laying down.

"Stay in the bed. I'll be back, girl." I grabbed my keys and phone and left the house. I went to the nearest CVS around. The mission was to get Savannah Tylenol but I thought I'd look for anything else that would help out with any of her symptoms. After I found the tylenol, I continued looking around for other things. I came across pads and tampons.

"Long time no see." I said with a chuckle. I kept walking around and I got my hands on a heating pad. That could help with her leg and back pains. I also came across some medicine that would help with her stomach pains and medicine that would help with her constipation. Yeah she gets constipated. It's funny to watch.

"Chris?" I heard someone say. I looked up to a woman who I recognized with just a glance.

"J-Jasmine," I nearly dropped everything in my hands. "Wow."

"You're still living in New York?" I looked at her mesmerized by her appearance.

"Y-you look so..." She gave me a weird look. "You look nice."

"Thank you. You look the same. Just taller I think. And buffer." I chuckled finally looking away from her.

"I think that's a compliment."

"You're still living here huh?" She repeated.

"Oh. Uh, yeah. I didn't plan on moving out of state anyway."

"Did you ever go into the Air Force? Like you wanted?"

"I did. But I finished quicker than I thought I would at the time."

"Why?"

"Traumatizing things. The things I had to witness, I don't think I was emotionally ready for all that. But it was a great experience. No doubt."

"I'm glad to hear." She smiled at me and nodded awkwardly looking around.

"I see you're still here."

"I don't think I could ever leave New York."

"I feel you on that."

"What's all that medicine for? You need all that?"

"Oh no this isn't for me. It's for my girlfriend."

"Girlfriend huh." She chuckled like she didn't want to hear me say I had a girlfriend.

"Yeah..." 

"Is it Savannah? Still?"

"We don't have to talk about this if you don't want to. I can tell it's bothering you."

"Well yeah. You were my first love." She looked at me with teary eyes.

"Jasmine." I sighed.

"And I lost you. To her. And you didn't think twice about it."

"And I'm sorry for that. I didn't deserve you anyway. I was an ass to you, I was a horrible boyfriend. You deserved someone better than me."

"What made Savannah better than me? Because I know you're not an ass to her, you're not a horrible boyfriend to her. What makes her better?"

"I'm not going to stand here and compare you two. And you shouldn't even want to hear that. You two are two completely different women. Different and special in your own ways. And that's okay, Jasmine."

"You're not answering the question." She wiped her eyes and looked away from me.

"Look. You're going to find someone, if you haven't already, that's going to love you and care for you better than the childish little boy I was ever could. I know we dated but we were kids, Jasmine. We're older now."

"I get it. But is there really no other chance for us? We're here right now talking for a reason don't you think?" 

"I've got my woman that I'm in love with at home waiting for me to come back with all this stuff. And she's having my baby. But we can be friends, Jasmine. This doesn't have to be the last time we talk."

"Savannah's pregnant?" 

"She is."

"Wow. Well congratulations. I should go now." She turned the opposite direction and began to walk away. 

"What? Wait, Jasmine!"

"It was nice seeing you again." 

I would have chased after her but I didn't desire her time that much and deeply. I didn't desire any woman's time like that except for Savannah's. So I didn't chase after her. But man that was some encounter.

Maybe I should have left Savannah being pregnant out of the conversation. But it felt necessary in the moment so she'd know that even if Savannah and I weren't together, I'd really have no time to be in a relationship because of the baby.

"I'm back with goodies." I smiled at Savannah walking into the bedroom. She was right where I left her.

"CVS is right around the corner. What took you so long?" 

"Jasmine was there." I said sitting on the end of the bed."

"Jasmine? As in your ex girlfriend?"

"Yes."

"And you talked to her?"

"Yes."

"What happened?"

"Four years later and she still hasn't let me go."

"That's what the conversation was about?"

"I didn't try to make it about that. But she kept taking it in that direction. It was weird."

"How is she?"

"She seems a lot better. But how are you? Are you feeling any better?"

"Not at all." 

"I didn't expect you to. But I got you some things. It's not going to help everything but I did the best I could." I handed her the bag and watched as she looked through it.

"Thank you." She laughed looking at the medicine for her constipation.

"I should have went there a while ago. I just thought the doctor's medicine was enough."

"Is it ever?" She sighed emptying the rest of the bag.

"No it's not. I see that now." 

"I'm glad." 

"I'm going to go get you some water, maybe some snacks too and a spoon to take that medicine. You take off those clothes that you just threw up in. Cuz that's gross, Savannah." I said to her standing in the doorway. She laughed.

"Yes, sir."

"Matter of fact." I went to the side of the bed and grabbed the bucket. "We'll also put that heating pad to use. I want you to be as comfortable as possible tonight."