2. Arrange marriage?

Aditya

My phone was buzzing continuously for the past few minutes and I was starting to get annoyed with it. I slept at two in the morning and it's just been a few minutes but my stupid phone won't stop ringing. I opened my eyes and looked at the time.

My eyes widened as I realised it was already seven in the morning. I wanted to sleep more but then I will be late for work. Rubbing my eyes tiredly, I looked at my phone to see who was calling. Looking at the caller Id, my irritation flew out the window. I picked up the call smiling.

"Hey, beautiful! Good morning." I greeted cheerfully.

"Good morning to you too handsome. May I know why it took you seven calls to answer the phone?"

"Umm. Actually, mom..." I always get nervous while lying to her.

"Were you working till late again, Adi? When are you going to take care of yourself?" She asked annoyed.

"Yeah, I am still working on the Pearson project. You know right, this deal is very important to me. It's one of the biggest accomplishments of my career. I am going to make dad and you proud of me."

"Adi, I understand. And honestly, your dad and I are so very proud of you. You do so much hard work and you have taken the company to new heights in just a few years. We are already in the seventh sky seeing your success. You don't need to prove anything else, son. All you do is just work and stress." Mom said sighing.

"Mom! I just love my work, there is no stress here. Work is all I know. Isn't that what you taught me 'to love what I do'?"

"I know what I taught but I didn't know my values are going to backfire on me only. I asked you to love your work, not get married to it. If you had been married, I wouldn't have to worry so much about you because I would know that you are not alone but now, huh. Adi, I just wish to see you happy, falling in love, getting married and having kids. If you want to make us happy, then get married already."

"Seriously? Marriage, again? You don't have any other topic these days. Please, for now, forget about marriage. Only my work is important to me at the moment." I asked annoyed.

"You and your work. Just get over it soon. I want to see my son. I haven't seen you for a month now. Come back soon, Adi. I miss you so much." I softened after hearing her words.

"I miss you, too. And I promise you will see me very soon. I'll be back before you know it. Also, thank you for waking me up. I have a very important meeting right now. If things fall in place, I could finish this deal early. Now I gotta go and get ready." I told her while getting up from the bed.

"Love you. Bye and please take care of yourself. Eat breakfast too."

"Ok, bye. Love you, too." We hung up the call and I smiled. What I didn't tell her was that my work was already in the final stage and I was all packed up to go back to India by tonight.

After the call, I got ready for the office. After taking a shower and hastily wearing my suit, I ran outside while still doing my tie. I had to skip breakfast because I was running late and I didn't have the time to make breakfast. My cook was on a break and lucky for me, mom taught me cooking. I am twenty-six, the least I could do is feed myself.

My parents have always believed in being independent so I was taught cooking at a very early age. Although, I was hardly using the skill nowadays because of my busy schedule. Most of the time, I am busy with work and eat at the office or sometimes I just skip my meals. But I am lucky that I have a lot of caring people around me who look after me when I can't.