Chapter Eleven

[Adrian's P.O.V]

2 weeks later...

"Give it back, you immature jackass!"

"Clearly you've forgotten that I'm your superior,"

 "No. I've just chosen to ignore that minor detail considering that I scored the upper hand in the brain department...Conveniently a department that you lack in,"

"At least I was born with the looks,"

"We're twins! We have the same face, idiot,"

I watched in mute fascination from the sidelines as the two siblings fought, bodies angled towards each other in open hostility, their faces identical looks of exasperation and annoyance.  It was bizarre actually, considering they both wore the same uniform clothing, it kind of seemed like they were staring in the mirror. The only noticeable differences was that Michael's blonde hair was shoulder length and scragglier while Jordan's was in a neat trim, gelled and brushed back. Both had the boyish devil-versus-angel look down pat.

I glanced around to see that some of the customers were staring with interest at the twins, sipping their coffees and enjoying the entertainment.

Jeremy, the manager, would never admit it, but I suspected that the only reason why he kept the two 'dope-heads' - as Kat so eloquently called them - around were for the customers enjoyment. Otherwise, their constant bickering would have no doubt been too much of a nuisance to handle.

And it was entertaining to watch them go at it, mostly because they were so hilarious without even meaning to be.

Kat, however, was not amused.

"Okay," she snapped from beside me, crossing her arms over her chest to glare at the two 'dope-heads'. "Enough with the testosterone. It's getting kind of old and besides," she shrugged, "The girl wasn't even interested in any of you. She just gave you a fake number so she could escape your slimy paws."

The brothers exchanged confused looks before shooting questioning ones at Kat who simply rolled her eyes and turned away. It was clear from the looks on their face that hearing that a girl actually didn't want them was ludicrous.

"Didn't you go out with one of them?" I questioned, vaguely remembering her telling me something along those lines when she took me on a lunch break a few days ago.

She shuddered, shooting me a horrified look. "Shh! We mustn't speak of such evil here. I was young and naive. Never again," Then as if to further cement her point, she waggled a finger at me, "Never. Again."

I found my lips turning up into a smile. I caught myself and immediately tried to rein it in, placing that blank mask over my face, a mask that I had developed and perfected in the last two weeks. I turned my back on Kat and busied myself with putting everything back in its rightful place. I ignored the side glances Kat sent me and pasted on a fake smile and asked the next customer what he wanted. As he rattled off his order, I took a moment to think of just how drastic my life had changed.

 When I had hopped off the bus nearly two weeks ago, I found myself in a foreign town with no money - except for the money I had managed to scavenged from the garage - but I knew that it wasn't going to last me long, a few days max. Booking myself into a local motel, I had spent the whole next day applying for temporary jobs. I wasn't fussy about where I was going to work, just as long as I was paid enough to last me the next few days or even weeks. Who knew how long I was able to stay here until the stalker found me again?

Gloria Jeans was the only job available and I immediately jumped at the offer and was pleasantly surprised to find I liked to waitress.

But, I also found myself missing the stuffy, stale air conditions of Jack's office.