e i g h t y f o u r

As the rain pours down on Dan and I, I look at him. The rain has caused his hair to become an even curlier than usual mess, sticking to his forehead and dropping down slightly in front of his eyes, not much to his bother, though, as he hasn't moved it aside.

His cheeks and nose are of a crimson shade, most likely due to being cold. I have to say, it's quite adorable. But, then again, everything Dan does is adorable, so there's n surprise there. One of my arms is slung around his shoulders, the other now resting on his thigh. I think that loving Dan has become an addiction to me, but it's an addiction I never want to give up, and I hope I'll never have to.

His head comes down to rest on my shoulder, and I crack the reticence, not that I minded it.

"Before we became good friends, I-" I try to say, before having to giggle a little at the thought. "I thought of bringing a girlfriend, or wife here." I finish, bursting out laughing, but not moving, as Dan's head is still comfortably resting upon my shoulder. "This isn't exactly fitting to my expectations."

"Well, I should hope I exceeded your expectations."

"Most certainly."

There's a light sound of thunder off in the distance, and Dan tenses slightly. Nothing to be worried about, I should hope.

Another roar of thunder comes minutes later, a lot louder this time, and Dan freaks out. He shuffles away from me, eyes wide, looking around and slipping on the rock we're sat on, close to falling off.

I wrap m arm around the trembling boy's waist, pulling him onto my lap. 

"Hey, hey, bear, what's wrong? You need to be careful, you nearly fell." I say in as courteous of a voice I can muster up, playing with his hair a bit to attempt to calm him down.

We see a flash f lightning off in the distance, and he whimpers, burying his head into my neck to cover his face.

"You're okay, what's wrong?"

"Sc-scared, sorry, it's i-irrational and stupid." He says, stuttering out of fear.

"It's okay, it's fine, you're fine. Let's get home then, come on, you need to get up." I say, pushing him off of my lap gently so that I can stand up, before doing so, and then helping him up to his feet. His eyes are dripping with anxiety, metaphorically and literally.

We make our way back to the flat, him flinching and whimpering whenever booming thunder can be heard, and me comforting him, or at least trying to.