f o u r t y t w o

The school day concludes, Dan and I still side by side, as if we're inseparable. I'm presuming neither of us has anything to do now, so I take a leap and ask a question.

"Do you wanna, maybe, come to my place? Just to hang out and stuff."

"Yeah, sure thing." He replies, shooting me a smile. That pretty smile, those pretty lips that I can imagine pressed against min- nope. Friends. Neither of us wants to be more than friends. He's pretty, but I love him like a friend. It's platonic.

We both walk the same way as yesterday, though actually going into flat rather than going to the park. I figure going back to the park would be a bad idea based on the events of yesterday. It's my fault; I'm the one who suggested we climbed the tree.

Once reaching the door, I swing my bag off of my bag and balance it on my knee, searching through it to try to find my keys, failing miserably. I hear Dan giggling at me, and I have to admit, I'd laugh at me too.

"Shut up," I tell him, a slightly too serious tone in my voice, which was unintentional. He'll know I was joking, probably. "ah, here!" I exclaim, finally pulling the keys out of my bag.

When I turn to him, his facial expression has dropped from the giggly one before, into one that's not quite sad, or angry, but just- I don't know.

"I was joking, by the way, when I said shut up. I don't mind, now bring back that cute smile." I tell him, not exactly meaning to say cute, but I did mean it. He has one fucking cute smile. It makes him pulling on this stupid smile and move closer to me as I unlock the door, us both walking in, and I drop my bag on the floor, him then following the action with his.