s e v e n t y n i n e

We reach the school hand in hand, somehow on time, despite leaving later than usual, and the presence of someone behind us becomes aware to me when I hear a shout.

"You two are so fucking gay!"

Phil goes to say something, but I tell him not to. It's about time I did something for myself. I turn to the boy, who towers over me, with an almost orange, crappy blonde girl holding his hand. I can do this.

"Yeah, well I'd rather be gay, with an amazing boyfriend, for the record, than have a girlfriend who looks like Donald Trump and has most likely slept with every heterosexual male in the school." 

They both just look at me, stunned, and then from the distance, I hear an "Oooooh, burn!" which, when I turn around, I see that it was Chris.

The boy, who I believe to be Max, moves closer, really showing the height difference between us. I can see Phil's face, and he looks worried, but this is fine. I'm fine.

"You wanna fight?" He asks, and I snort. 

"It wouldn't exactly be a fight when only one of us has a valid thing to fight about. Saying 'oooh look you're gay' over and over isn't offensive, nor is it, what you and your fuck-boy friends would call, 'savage', so maybe you should stop trying to fight, and start paying attention to when your girlfriend is cheating on you."

The crowd that has now formed goes silent, faces dropped, and then everyone starts cheering. At first, I'm confused, surely they're not cheering for me, but they're definitely not cheering for Max.

"FUCK YEAH!" Two girls scream, walking up to me. It's Louise, and another girl; and my best guess as to who it is would be Zoe. 

Max runs off, and the crowd depletes, laughing. I think I may have done something well for the first time. I, Dan Howell, have made some people cheer for me, and laugh at someone who dislikes me. Now that is a plot twist.

Louise, Zoe, Chris, Pj, and Phil stick around, and then Phil wraps his arm around my waist, looking me in the eyes and smiling.

"This ultimately proves that I have the best boyfriend ever."

"That's debatable," Chris says, looking to Pj.

"Chris, let's be honest, it kind of does. Have either of us ever done anything like that?" Pj says to him, and everyone laughs. This must be what it's like to have friends.