t h r e e

Dan approaches the desk, and I feel the temptation to roll my eyes. I don't have a reason to hate Dan as a person, so I shouldn't, but as someone who dresses fully in black, who you could refer to as a 'punk', I find it obnoxious to see a boy dressed in pastel; white converse, white skirt, finished off with an oversized pink hoodie that's sleeves' reach his palms. I try not to focus on him, explaining why I'm sat here and then returning my focus to the teacher at the front of the class.

A while into the lesson we're doing classwork, a general murmur of talking between everyone going on. I turn to look at Dan, who is looking out of the window, seeing a large purple bruise on his jaw, running slightly up his cheek and down his neck. At this point I realise; Dan is the boy who Max had beat up in the toilets. I walked in earlier today to be alone, leant up against the wall and on my phone. I heard someone insult Max, which nobody ever has the guts to do, so I laughed to myself a little. The crack of bone on bone was so loud that of course it's left a massive mark, and at that moment I bolted out.

I know I shouldn't say anything, and people like us should be rivals, polar opposites, but I decide to speak up. Neither of us have friends, which is a well-known fact, but Dan seems quite alright with it, a generally happy person.

"Hey, uh, I saw what happened in the toilets, you okay?" I ask, attempting to sound as concerned as possible, but it doesn't really work when you have an extremely monotone voice and are considerably intimidating.

"Hm?" he asks, turning away from his gaze out of the window, having not heard what I said.

"Are you okay? I saw what went on in the toilets."

"Are you pranking me or something like that? Like are you trying to, I don't know, but please, I'm not in the mood for being messed with today." He says back.

"Whoa, where'd that come from? I'm just trying to be nice."

"People aren't nice to me, that's not how it works."

This time I do actually roll my eyes. I may be intimidating, but it doesn't mean I can't ask someone if they're okay. Dan isn't the kind of person I'd expect to snap back after someone trying to fucking help, or snap back at all.