s e v e n t y

I walk back to where Dan was when I left, and there he is, in the grip of Anthony, who's grinding down on him, on hand underneath his skirt. Dan is visually upset, eyes squinted and tears on his cheeks.

"Run." I say simply to Chris and Pj, who do so, and then I use every bit of strength I can muster up to rip Anthony away from Dan, despite him being taller and stronger than me. 

Once I get him off of Dan, I begin punching him in the jaw multiple times, not really comprehending the situation. Suddenly, I stop, grab Dan by the arm, and we run away, Chris and Pj shortly ahead. We turn a corner in one of the corridors, reaching a door that leads to outside. It's raining. Fuck it.  We go outside, finding a bench and sitting down, Dan's eyes closed, still dripping tears.

"Dan? Danny?" I ask, pushing his hair out of his face, and he opens his eyes, his tear filled, bloodshot eyes. "You're okay now, Dan, I'm here," I tell him softly, cupping his cheek and looking him in the face.

"Ph-Phil they- I-" He tries to speak, before bursting into tears again. Pj and Chris look across at us from the other side of the table and benches.

"Sh, sh, what happened, bear?" I ask, wiping away the tears bunched underneath his eyes with my thumb.

"Wh- when you left, they- he started, uh, well he- the boys who were there, uh, all surrounded me, and then Anthony, he-" Dan says, before throwing his arms around me, his head in the crook of my neck. I saw what happened, and my heart broke the second I saw Dan so scared and fragile. I wrap my arms around him protectively, pulling him close. I never should've left him alone. I've never seen them hurt him before. Surely this is the first time. I can ask later.

Rain falls down, mixing with the tears on his cheeks as he looks at me, head tilted up ever so slightly. His hair is damp, curling more than usual, and Chris and Pj are still looking worriedly at Dan.

"I saw what he did, Danny. I hate him."

"I'm sorry."

"What? Why are you sorry, you did nothing wrong!"

"I don't know, I just, I feel like it's my fault."

"It's not, it's not your fault. Nothing is your fault."