s e v e n t y o n e

I talk with Pj and Chris, Dan staying silent, and then turn to see Dan looking scared. When I look up, I realise why. The group of boys, besides from Anthony, are heading our way. 

"Don't worry, I won't let them hurt you," I say, placing a hand on his shoulder, and then standing up so that I'm in front of them. 

I may not be the strongest of people, but if it involves Dan, you fucking bet I'm going to fight.

"Oh look, is punk boy Phil standing up for his pretty little pastel boyfriend!" One shouts, now stood in front of me. I almost laugh. He's short, like, very short. Not Dan short, but shorter than me. 

"Yeah, I am," I say, and he attempts to punch me, before I catch his fist in my hand, twisting his arm, making him yelp out in pain. "and for the record," I begin, punching him square in the face. "only I can call him pretty."

When I turn around, the other two boys are on Dan, Pj and Chris watching cowardly. I don't blame them.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" I shout at them, and then they punch him. They punch Dan. They fucking punch my Dan.

They keep doing it, and my body is still. Dan doesn't even seem shocked by it, just hurt. My body snaps out of it's paralysed state, and I run forwards, pushing the boys away, picking up Dan in my arms, which isn't difficult being that he's short and very skinny. I've never noticed. He's too skinny.

I run, Pj and Chris shortly behind. It seems we've done a lot of running today.We reach the school car park, the group of boys probably following.

"Guys, my car's here somewhere. We can leave if you want." Pj says.

"Sure," I say. "Dan?"

"Y-yeah, whatever, just- put me down." 

I put him down, as he said, but I'm concerned. Perhaps he's not that skinny and my brain is being stupid. Surely.

Pj and Chris get in the front seats of a car, so Dan and I sit in the back, and we drive out of school, easy as that.