e i g h t y t h r e e

The place Phil brings me to is a river, and he walks towards it, sitting on a rock overlooking it, patting next to him as a way to tell me to sit there, so I do. It's pretty, I suppose, but I guess Phil is just better at finding the beauty in things. I can, of course, find the beauty in Phil, but that's it.

"You like it?" He asks after a moment of taciturnity, looking at me with those pretty blue eyes.

"Yeah, I suppose," I tell him, turning away and looking down at the water crashing into rocks, swinging my legs and keeping a firm grasp on the edge of the rock, as to not fall in. Not that I'd mind, but Phil might.

"I guess I'm just weird for liking this stuff so much."

"Yes, but I like it. If you weren't weird then what would you be? Another Max, or Tom, or- or Anthony."

"I'd never be like any of those assholes." He states, wrapping one arm around me, looking down at me. He does that a lot, looking at me, which I don't quite understand. I don't like looking at me.

"I used to think this was the prettiest thing I'd ever see."

"And now?"

"You're the prettiest thing I'll ever see."

I blush. I do that a lot because of Phil, blushing. But that, that I understand. 

"I doubt it."

"Don't doubt it, because I am 100% sure it's true."

"I guess you're better at seeing pretty things."

"Don't you find anything pretty?"

"I find you pretty."

Phil places his unoccupied hand out, intertwining it with one of mine, him now not holding on at all.

"Phil, you might fall."

"I won't."

"You migh-"

"Just, stop doubting me, okay?"

"I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault. It's cute that you're concerned about me."

It'a not cute that you might fall; I think, but don't say, not wanting to argue with Phil.