s e v e n

The next lesson; art, rolls around quicker than expected, after a not-as-bad-as-I-though English lesson beside Dan Howell. He's not that bad, but I still don't like him. At least now in art I get to just sit in silence and paint something shitty; because I really cannot do anything artistic, but it's a chill lesson.

"Okay, everyone's here then?" The teacher, Mr Deary asks, followed by a few mumbles of 'yes'. "Today we're working in partners." Shit. "You'll be painting each other in a few lessons time, but for now you'll just be working together generally to understand each others' point of view of art and that kind of stuff." Double shit. "You can pick your partners." Tripple shit.

Being put in partners is bad, but having to choose one is worse. At least when we're put in partners I'm not just left with the worst person in the room who nobody else chose.

Everyone else finds a partner, mostly jocks' with their girlfriends', and then the teacher comes up to me. 

"Phil? Haven't go a partner?"

"No, but I can do something alo-"

"No, no need. Dan hasn't either." He cuts me off, and Dan emerges from nearby.

"Fuck," I whisper under my breath.

"Sorry, what was that Phil?" 

"Oh, nothing."

"Well, then, get to work."

The desks in the room are set up so that two people sit on one, so we walk over to one near the back.

"Sorry, I asked if I could be with anyone else, honestly." He says suddenly, basically pleading for me to forgive him, which I don't understand. I may look scary, but I'm pretty sure that I'm not actually, but being scary can be an advantage.

"It's fine, I just hope you're not shit at art."

"You'll find out when I have to fucking paint you."

"I guess."

"He seriously thinks that asking us to talk about art for a lesson is a good idea? Nobody's actually going to do that." 

"Unless anyone in here actually likes art." I joke, with a laugh on the end.

"So are you actually good at art, or-"

"I'm completely shit."

"Right, sorry I asked."

Sure, the teacher asked us to talk about art for a lesson. To most people a lesson of talking would be good, but when you don't have friends and are paired with someone who's scared of you; not so fun.