t w e n t y f i v e

As the ground starts to get muddier, I decide to lay down my coat beneath my so that I don't ruin my jeans, and take it out of my bag. It's pastel pink (obviously). Though I don't exactly want it covered in mud, I can just wash it off of this. Anything else would be ruined forever. I pull the sleeves of my oversized, pastel purple sweater over my hands, leaning back and closing my eyes.

What seems like only a few seconds later, but was probably longer, I hear a sound from around the other side of the tree, getting closer. It's probably Kian coming to give me what I deserve. I turn my head and see Phil. Suddenly the idea of getting thrown onto the mud by Kian becomes slightly more appealing than what's about to happen.

I bury my head in my arms, though he'll know it's me, and probably already does.

"Dan?"

I don't answer. I hate him.

"Dan, please! What I said earlier... about you being pastel and not swearing and stuff, I meant it as a joke." He says to me gently, sitting down next to me and leaning against the very same tree.

My body tenses. I lift my head up slightly when he begins to talk again.

"Listen, I'm not sure why I even said that. I just guess I finally thought I had a friend and I was trying to be funny but it didn't work. I get it, you didn't want to be my friend. You don't like me-"

"It's fine." I cut him off.

"Are you s-sure?"

"Yes. I want to be your friend."

"Really?"

"Yes, you idiot. Me, the pastel boy, wants to be your friend." I tell him, shaking his shoulder slightly. He smiles this big bright smile with his tongue sticking out between his teeth.

I smile. Not an empty smile, not a fake one; a real one. One I haven't had in years. In this moment I feel calm, taken away from the stuff I go through. I feel happy.

THEY'RE FRIENDS NOW!! WOOHOO. it took 25 chapters but oh well.