I nodded and ran upstairs, fear clawing my heart. My palm started to sweat when I came to stand in front of the door. I knocked at the door lightly, hoping he would open the door.

"Drake..." I called out softly.

No answer.

"Drake, open the door. It's me..." I was trailing off by his silence, almost breaking.

He had never denied me for anything, he promised that he would always do what I wanted. But today, he wasn't. He was breaking the promise.

"Please, Drake. Please?" I pleaded but I was met by silence again. My hands fell down in defeat but I would not leave him. I would not give up.

He can lock himself for all he wants, I'm not going to leave this place.

I slid down against the door and pulled my knees closer to my chest.

For once, I wanted to forget that he loves me.

"Fine. Don't open the door. Come sit your ass next the door at least," I said. I could almost hear the faint sound of him walking near the door. I smiled to myself.

"Remember the week before my 16th birthday, we had a fight, so, you locked yourself like this. I was sad that you weren't talking to me the whole week. I thought I did something wrong and you were punishing me by this. I thought you wouldn't surprise me at 12 midnight in my balcony with your special 'bread with nutella' cake, like you did every time. And even you did it almost on all my birthdays, I was always surprised and was the most happy girl."

There was a huge smile on my face while I was talking. I cherished each memories of us together. It was so much fun, I wanted to go back to childhood. Why couldn't we just stay small and never grow up?

I could feel him behind the door as I continued, "That night on my birthday, I was waiting for you to show up and forgot to sleep because why would I miss my favourite moment?" I laughed to myself.

"The clock was about to strike 12 and I was worried by your absence. I started to think you wouldn't come that night. I thought you were still mad at me. I was on the verge of crying when you jumped inside my room through the window and surprised me with the special cake. But on that birthday, there was another thing in your hand."

There was a Scrapbook in his hand and a small car made of paper. It was filled with memories. Beautiful memories. It had everything we did, picture of our first lunch together, picture of the first snowman we made and what not.

Most girls play with dolls but I used to play with cars, they were my possession. I was more happy by seeing the paper car. It wasn't perfect but the way he had done it was what I loved the most.

I couldn't help but smile.

Suddenly I wanted to go back to those days when we were small.

"That was when I realised why you locked yourself in the room. You gave me the most special gift, Drake. On that day, I fell for my best friend even more. I love you so much, Drake."

I heard a sharp inhale from the behind. Was he crying?

Before I could say anything, the door opened and quickly stood up, facing my best friend. His face holding a very sad and defeated look.

"And then, I sang your favourite song. But I don't think I might be able to do the same this year, or ever, Ava..." he trailed off, his voice was rough and unclear. My eyes widened by the realisation.