Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

“Oh!” Her face lights up. “Can I tag along?”

My gut told be to deny her, but the better person deep, deep, deep down told me that I should let her come along. I mean, she hasn’t seen him in God knows how long. It’s the least I could do, right?

“Alright.”

Once again, like my last trip to the hospital, it was raining. Never was it raining the day I went, but when I decided to go, it began to fall hard. The drops represented my shed tears. I mean, there are surely enough of them.

My chin resting on my hand, I silently stare out the window. Though I was despondent, it also made me feel happy to be around my dad. Even when he wasn’t like this, he still made me smile at every little thing—even the bad stuff.

“You okay Willow?” From the driver’s seat, Amy looked pretty upset too. I wasn’t sure if it was because dad was sick, or the fact that she had never visited him until now. It could either be sympathy or guilt. I’m gonna go with guilt.

“Yea, I’m just thinking.” I give her a half-hearted smile and turn back to my window gazing.

“Alright,” she starts slowly.

Oh God. She’s going to start talking.

“If you need to talk Willow—”

“I know.” I cut her off. For as nice as she was being, I wasn’t entirely positive that I could trust her. My feelings are too…fragile.

She sighs and looks back onto the road.

I smile and close my eyes as we tread closer to my daddy.

I push button number ten and lean my back against the metal of the elevator. Amy clutches her purse tightly and tightens her lips. “Does he look bad?”

“He looks…different. His eyes are the same though.” I look at myself in the reflection of the mirror. My makeup was completely washed off—no black. I sort of liked it. My eyes looked bigger and I had   natural color to my face. I wore my splatter paint jeans and Asking Alexandria T-shirt, and of course, converse. I was sort of like the old Willow, the happy one.

I lightly smiled at this as the elevator door rang. I pushed my way out and looked for Jackie. She sat behind the reception desk, sipping a cup of coffee.

“Willow dear, how are you?” She makes her way to hug me. “Sweetie you look so beautiful without all that makeup on.” She smiles and touches my face.

I blush at her comment and look down.

“Who’s this?” she asks curiously, pointing to Amy.

“Err,” I begin but Amy cuts me off. “I’m her sister. George is my father.”

Jackie looks wide-eyed at Amy and nods carefully, “Nice to meet you Amy.”

“You too.”

We make our way to my dad’s room and right at the door Amy stops me. “Can you give me a few minutes alone with him?”

“Sure,” I say. I really hope dad doesn’t have a heart attack when he sees Amy walk in.

“Thanks,” she says and walks through the door.

I sit awkwardly in the chairs outside his room, fiddling with my thumbs. It’s been fifteen minutes already. What could she be saying?

I get up and pace back and forth. While I’m looking at the floor, I begin to remember that horrible day.

We—my mother Amy and I—were all sitting on the porch playing a game of cards. The sun was shining brightly and I could never have had a better summer. I was planning on going to a sleepover at Levi and Jessie’s. It was only a moment later that we got the call. My dad—Commander George St. Claire—had crashed his plane. They immediately life flighted him to metro. They saved him, but at a cost. He would never be able to move on his own. He was basically brain dead by the time we got the hospital. My father was gone right when his plane had crashed.

I stop my day dreaming as soon as I hit something hard, and oddly good smelling. I stagger back and look up at the man in front of me. “I’m so sorry!” I squeal. “I wasn’t watching where I was going!”

He chuckles huskily and shakes his head. “It’s fine. Don’t worry. I walk into good looking girls all the time.”

It took me a mere moment to process this. Right when it clicked, I looked up at the tall man. Not man—boy; maybe my age. Man was he fine! Honey blonde hair, and piercing blue eyes. I’ve never seen an angel before, I thought to myself.

He laughs again. “Neither have I. But, I think I just did.”

I look at him in astonishment and immediately turn red. “Did I say that out loud?”

He nods and gives me a wink.

I cover my mouth and close my eyes, drowning in my embarrassment.

He once again laughs his sexy chuckle and extends a hand. “What’s your name?”

I hesitantly shake his hand and reply, “Willow.”

He smiles a million dollar smile, showing his perfectly straight pearly whites. “Hi Willow. I’m Connor.”

I gain my confidence back at look up at him curiously. Damn he was tall! I raise one eyebrow, “So Conner, tell me about this angel.”

Just FYI I have plans for Conner ;) Sexy plans *evil laugh*