10. Aftermath

Alec stood in the hallway looking inside the room. He watched Rafe's chest rise and fall as he breathed in his sleep. If only Alec could do the same. He was exhausted after the day they'd had but he couldn't let himself leave his son.

He smiled at Catherine who shifted in her sleep. She wouldn't leave either. He was beyond happy that his son had someone besides them who cared enough to stay until he was better. Alec made her call her mom, but she didn't answer as when Alec saw the lack of surprise in her eyes he knew that he couldn't turn her away.

"Mr. Lightwood?" Catherine's quiet voice made Alec jump in surprise.

"Sorry, I was just checking on Rafe." He motioned for her to stay on the futon Magnus had gotten for her to sleep on.

"If I'm in the way I can go." She offered and sat up.

"Not at all." Alec shook his head. "You can stay as long as you want unless your mom says otherwise of course."

"She won't." Catherine frowned then smiled. "But hey, what teenager doesn't want freedom?"

"Catherine, I'm sorry." Alec walked in a tiger her shoulder.

"It's fine." She shrugged uncomfortably. "I'm really tired."

"Right." Alec stepped back instead of pressing the girl. He wanted to know more so they could help her like she had helped them. "Get some rest."

He closed the door just enough that he could still see Rafe, but the hallway light wouldn't blind him.

"She'll talk when she's ready." Magnus hugged Alec from behind.

Alec covered Magnus's hands with his own. "Do you know anything about her family?"

"I might have spied on her mom." Magnus whispered.

"So that's where you've been."

"Yes. She's worse than your parents when you first came out."

"That poor girl." Alec turned in Magnus's arms and looked into his eyes.

"Before you ask, yes, we can keep her." Magnus kissed Alec's cheek.

"How will Rafe react?" Alec asked, his heart already feeling lighter.

"As long as we don't actually adopt her I think he'll loved having her astound more often." Magnus said. "And it'll be good practice for us before we adopt a girl."

"A girl? You want more kids?" Alec's eyes sparkled.

"You mean do I want a little girl that we can all spoil rotten? Yes." Magnus beamed.

"I can teach her archery." Alec said.

"And I can dress her in all the glitter in the world."

"We'll see about that." Alec chuckled.

"Papa?" Max asked rubbing his eyes.

"Yes, baby?" Alec lifted him up.

"Can I sleep with you?"

"Of course."

A/N Sorry it's short but hope you liked it. What do you think about them getting a little girl?