2. The Attack

Alec crouched down low and looked at the chaos in front of him. There was a demon along with a group of about twenty men and women who could be mundanes, demons, or almost anything else. And right in the middle of them all inside an oversized birdcage sat a scared, little girl. She was trembling so much that the braids in her hair were shaking. She was floating above the bottom of the cage and Alec wasn't sure why but he lost all thoughts of his own fear when he saw her lip tremble at the angry screech of the demon. 

"Alec, we should get reinforcements," Jace whispered into his ear, making Alec jump.

"By the angel, Jace! You could make a sound when you move." Alec shook his head.

"Yeah, if I want to get us both killed." Jace cocked an eyebrow at him.

"Right. Does anyone know if those are mundanes or demons?:" Alec Asked.

"Magnus might but none of us do," Jace responded just as the smoke started to blow away too fast to be natural. They saw a big hole in the earth. The followers climbed in and started digging with shovels, shoes, even their hands. There was no way they were in their right minds.

"Jace, we need to go in there. This is our chance." Alec commanded. "I'll walk in and pretend to be lost. Then, you all need to jump in. Make sure the girl isn't harmed."

"I know how to perform a simple rescue." Jace gave him his trusty smirk. It helped Alec calm down enough to take a deep breath. 

"Brother, I will see you on the other side." Alec gripped his arm tightly.

"I don't like that feeling you're passing along." Jace looked worried.

"It's fine Jace. Do what I say for once." Alec smiled but it didn't reach his eyes.

"There's something you're not telling me." Jace was terrified. He could feel the pain and fear through the parabatai bond and he knew that something was going to happen; something terrible. 

"Jace, just go. And if anything happens go to Magnus's. In my nightstand table, there is an envelope. Inside it, you'll find an explanation." Alec touched Jace's shoulder. "We don't have time now; we need to help Madzie."

Jace's eyes grew bigger. "Who's Madzie?"

"The girl in the cage."

"How do you know her name?" Jace looked even more worried.

"I'll explain it after. First, the mission. Remember emotions are only a distraction." Alec frowned.

"You know neither of us believes that anymore." Jace shook his head.

"We have to right now," Alec whispered and then took off towards the demon.

He strolled as if he had no purpose but his eyes constantly scanned the whole area. He made eye contact with Madzie and winked at her before putting on his lost face. He strolled closer and no one reacted. He couldn't decide if it was a good sign or a bad sign. 

"Hey, no trespassing!" A bulky man jumped up from within the hole and shoved Alec backward. He didn't budge much. They were mundanes, or at least this man was. He could handle that.

"Woah man, I'm just trying to get out of this forest," Alec said in a weird voice. "I had no idea it was this big. Did you?"

"Get lost." The man crossed his arms.

"I already am lost." Alec motioned with his hand, "like duh. Why else would I be here?"

"Because you're a nosey shadowhunter." The demon who had to be the leader appeared in front of them and looked down at Alec.

"What's a shadow thing?" Alec asked and ran his fingers through his hair down to his shoulder so he could clutch his bow. 

"Don't play with me Lightwood." The demon hissed. "You are a Lightwood, aren't you?"

"Ah," Alec whipped out his bow with an arrow already on it ready to shoot before the demon could react. "Now you have me at a disadvantage. What's your name?"

"Azazel." The demon reached out with his hand and the bow disintegrated into dust. "Using a weapon is cheating."

"I have other weapons." Alec stood tall even as his insides clenched. 

"Your friends?" Azazel looked around just as they surrounded him. 

"Them too." Alec pulled out a sereph blade.

"Magnus Bane! You are such a disappointment." Azazel called out. "You chose mortals over your own kind. Even a filthy shadowhunter."

"I'd like to think he chose me." Magnus threw a bolt of red light at the demon who easily waved it away as if it were a fly.

"Weak." Azazel laughed. 

Alec used the distraction and stabbed Azazel in the gut. His sereph blade went through him like it was cutting butter.

"You didn't really think I would be that stupid did you?" Azazel's body dissapeared into a puff of smoke only to appear behind Alec. He pulled him against his chest and wrapped his arm around Alec's throat. "Drop your weapons or he loses his head!"

A/N Ahhh! Yes, I'm horrible to leave you right here, but I kind of am evil.... so... It's going to happen. Love you all! Thank you for reading, voting and commenting!

I can't wait for tonight! So excited!