8. Running for Your Life

"Max, run!" Rafe yelled as he tugged on his little brother's hand. "He's going to kill us!"

"No, it's okay. We can stop him." Max dug his feet into the mud. 

"Max, this is not the time." Rafe glared at the little blue boy before glancing back at the demon after them.

"Daddy and Papa would stay and fight." Max yanked his hand out of Rafe's and crossed his arms in determination. Any other time Rafe would be impressed; hell he still was, but he didn't have time to revel in it because they had about five minutes before they were demon lunch.

"Max, they're not here. It's just us and I'm in charge." And the poison is starting to do its job. He added the last post in his head. Rafe picked up his brother and started to run. He wrapped his arms around Max so that the tree branches dug into his own flesh rather than his brother's. He knew that he was bleeding and that there would be scars, but that was better than explaining how they had been killed. Their dads would kill them for getting killed and yes, Rafe knew how ironic the idea was, but he also knew that it was true. 

"Can't you make a portal?" He huffed after glancing back to see the demon gaining on them.

"Yep." Max nodded his head against Rafe's chest where he was curled up. 

"Will it make things worse?" Rafe asked.

"Yep." Max nodded again. "Sorry, Rafe."

"It's fine, buddy. You're still learning.We'll be okay." Rafe took a deep breath and ran faster. His legs, arms, and lungs burned worse than when he was caught in that fire when he was little. 

"Catherine!" Max screamed.

"She's not here, Max." Rafe rolled his eyes. Could Max not be annoying while Rafe was currently trying to keep him alive? He saw a clearing up ahead. It was equal parts good and bad. The good thing was that it meant they were almost out of central park, the bad part was that the demon could get to them much easier.

"Catherine!" Max called out again.

"Will you shut up?" Rafe hissed as he tried to suck in air.

"We need her help." Max said in his sweet voice.

"She's not fucking here!" Rafe shouted.

"Language," Max whispered then was smart enough to curl up into an even smaller ball and stay quiet. 

"Rafael?" Catherine stood in front of him with her hands on her hips, her soft brown curls flowing down to her back. Her hair sparkled in the sunlight and her perfect eyebrow was raised above her purple eyes. They made him think of the suit that his dad got for his first dance; the same suit that Papa hid so he wouldn't have to wear it. Now all he could think about was wanting to wear that suit so he could have a piece of her with him. He needed to stop thinking about her.

"Damn," Rafe's eyes bugged out. "I mean, hey." He tried to catch his breath.

"What the hell happened to you?" Catherine walked towards him with her hand reached out.

"Don't touch me." He spit at her even though he didn't mean to. 

"Fine. Whatever." Catherine pulled her hand back and looked hurt. "Max,  are you okay?"

"A demon's trying to kill us." Max piped up.

"What?!" Catherine waved her hand to her side and a portal appeared. "Come with me and then you better explain yourself shadowhunter."

Rafe didn't respond, he just jumped through and sank to the soft floor that he had landed on. Wait, it wasn't the floor. He was on a bed; and not just any bed. It was his room. He tried to open his eyes but he couldn't. When had he closed them? He expected to feel Max's weight on him still but he noticed that he was gone. 

"Hey you." A soft, sweet voice with a tiny lilt of humor washed over him. Maybe he was in heaven.

"Hmumph." He said and frowned. Why couldn't he talk? He tried to pry his eyes open again but he couldn't. He couldn't move either. What the hell was going on? By the angel, was he in hell? 

"It's okay, handsome. You were badly hurt. You should have told me instead of yelling at me to not touch you. I've healed the small things but we'll have to wait for your dads to get her to heal the rest." Catherine brushed his hair out of his face. He had been planning on cutting it but now he was glad that he hadn't. Wait! Had she said that his dads were coming?

He struggled against his paralyzed state and tried to sit up. Had she called him handsome? He stopped struggling. 

"Woah, Rafe you're going to hurt yourself worse. Just breathe and relax." She kissed his cheek. "You're the only reason that Max is still alive. He told me how you got bit by the demon because you jumped in front of him. I can't believe you had managed to get so far all while caring Max. You have so much venom in your body that it's a miracle that you're alive. Max is a lucky kid."

"He likes you." Max chimed in.

"Oh really?" Catherine purred and Rafe wanted to die. He was almost glad that he couldn't do anything except listen. "What makes you think that?"

"His diary." Max said and Rafe's heart raced when he heard the nightstand table close. "See?"

"By the angel, Rafe, these are beautiful." Catherine knew that she shouldn't but that didn't stop her from flipping through Rafe's sketch book. She felt a knot in her throat at the last picture. It was her, in a gold dress. Her hair was pulled up with little ringlets framing her face. She looked happier than she had ever felt. Her mom was a drug addict who had only kept her because she could make money from her. In Rafe's eyes though, none of that existed; Catherine was beautiful and pure. She knew that gold was a very important color to shadowhunters.

"Why are you crying?" Max asked innocently. 

"Oh, it's nothing." She wiped away the tears and smiled. "Your dads are here."

"Rafe? Max? Where are you? Are you okay?" Alec called out and Magnus ran in behind him. 

"By the angel, what happened?" Alec demanded as he took Max into his arms and kissed his forehead. "Rafe? Why isn't he moving? Magnus? Please, tell me our son is okay." Alec sank to his knees and grabbed Rafe's hand.

"Rafe, darling, please. It's papa and dad. We're here. Please be okay." Alec looked up at Magnus's worried expression. "Mag?"

Magnus touched Alec's shoulder. "Alec, I need you to take Max out of the room. Catherine I need-" 

A/N Do you want the next part today or tomorrow? Hmm....? Very tough decision, I know.

Also, I seriously need Cafe to be a real thing! It would make my life so much better. I am loving your versions of their date! So freaking cute!