(Epilogue Pt. 4) Durin, Party of Six

Start from the beginning

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The following years were filled with a mixture of exhaustion, laughter, frustration, and joy. Caring for two babies was certainly more difficult than caring for just one. It meant double the feedings, cleanings, and playtime. However, one of the most rewarding experiences was to see what their personalities would be. And boy, did I see them.

Fion was an exact replica of his father in looks, mannerisms, and attitude. He was a little more in the quiet side at first, but loved to play with other children and enjoyed hearing grand stories from the other dwarves. Our little boy was a typical boy in respect that he was energetic when playing, loved to pretend-fight, and could run around for a while if we let him. If left alone with a book, however, Fion would be content for hours. However, like his father, he had an unshakeable determination and innate protectiveness- especially over Opal. If the little one got it into his head that Opal was hurt or could be hurt, he would do everything in his power to guard her.

As for Opal, she too possessed a strong physical resemblance to her Papa. She had wavy dark blonde hair and blue eyes that always seemed to be sparkling. However... she had inherited everything else from her dear mother, which was a blessing and a curse. Stubborn, sassy, and adamant couldn't even begin to describe Opal. She fought Fili and I on everything before she could talk. She was never particular disobedient, and would hardly ever do something like hit or bite someone. The little girl just seemed to have a fondness for challenging every idea that came her way. It took constant discipline to get Opal down to a manageable state, but even then, there would always be this ferocity about her- and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it.

Because of the physical toll that the twins' birth had put onto my body, Fili and I had decided to put off having another child until I healed... and raising a child and two young ones kept us busy enough. Another year and a half had gone by like a blur. Mira had just turned seven, Fion and Opal were both roughly two years old, and I was pregnant with our fourth child. It was certainly surprising, considering that I had been taking the preventative birth herb on a daily basis.

Nonetheless, our surprise baby greeted us eight months later. He was a little boy named Aarav who had my hair and eye color. The arrival of Aarav was a large talking point with our family that provoked many... interesting questions.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Mama bewwy goooooooooooonneee!" Fion exclaimed, pointing at me with a stubby finger. I laughed quietly at my son before shaking my head. Fili had left me in the bed alone with Aarav for a moment, only to bring Mira and the twins in to see the baby.

"No, love- my belly's not gone. Don't worry." I replied.

"Yes is, I no see bewwy anymoh!" Opal said, also pointing at me to reaffirm her point.

Knowing that it wouldn't be worth arguing with her, I released a breath and shifted Aarav in my arms. He was a very quiet baby that simply enjoyed looking around at everything. Although, right now, I was currently feeding him. "Okay, Opal... would you all like to see the baby?"

Mira grinned excitedly and nodded her head, skipping over to the side of the bed. "I wanna see! What's his name, Mama?"

"I wan' see toooo!" Opal exclaimed, toddling over to the other side of the bed until Fili lifted her up. She then crawled over and snuggled right into my side. As tough as she could seem, the little girl was truly a cuddlebug.