My Promise

Personally, I wouldn't consider this a chapter. It's just another scene- but this time, it's written in Fili's POV.

Aren't I nice?

By the way, just because I don't reply to everyone's comments doesn't mean I don't care. I read every single one, and you guys really make my day. So thank you!

And thanks for helping this fanfic reach over 12,000 reads! That is purely incredible. I would've never seen it coming.

========================================================

~ Fili's POV ~

Kyja nestled into my chest as Gloin and I hurried away from the Master's house. "Do ya think she'll be alright?" Gloin asked.

"I'm sure she will." I replied, a bit of doubt creeping into my voice. When Bofur told us that he was hearing screaming, I didn't know what to think.

It was only when I saw her beating the man did I realize what was going on. Suddenly an older woman approached the both of us, concern filling her eyes.

"Follow me." She whispered. "You can trust me. My name is Novalee." Nodding at Gloin, I followed the woman to her home. Kyja's body twitched every so often as we navigated the passageways of Laketown.

Once we arrived at our destination, Novalee opened the door and led us inside. "Set her down in that room. She can rest for a little while."

I strided into the small but cozy chamber and gently placed Kyja on the bed. Once she made contact with the blankets, she curled up into a ball and moaned softly.

As I reached out to touch her face, Gloin knocked softly on the door. "Fili?"

"Just a moment." I pleaded. "I'll be right out."

When he left, I stroked Kyja's cheek and sighed. "If only you knew how much I cared about you." I murmured.

"I think she does know."

I whirled my head around to see Novalee standing in the doorway with a smile on her face. "Come with me Fili. I want to talk to you."

Reluctantly, I left Kyja and followed Novalee into the sitting room. "Where's Gloin?" I asked.

"He left just a moment ago. Figured you'd want to be alone, you know?" She answered. "I think that was a wise decision, considering what we're about to discuss."

I sat in one of the wooden chairs and eyed her curiously. "And what would that be?"

"The subject of love. And from the looks of it, you have fallen for my granddaughter."

Feeling the heat rising into my cheeks, I scratched the back of my head nervously and cleared my throat. "You could say that."

Novalee then leaned forward with a serious expression on her face. "But do you love her?"

"Yes, I do."

"How do you know?"

"I'm afraid I don't-"

"My point exactly." She huffed. "You see Fili, there's more to love than just good feelings. When you love someone- yes, it makes you happy. But it also brings forth a whole different perspective. You develop another way of thinking."

I glanced back at the room Kyja was in before Novalee addressed me once more. "Is she worth fighting for? Would you be willing to put down your life for her if need be?"

"I would."

She grabbed both of my hands and gazed into my eyes. "Then prove it." She whispered. "Prove you are worthy of her love. Now go. Morning will be here before we know it."

I stood up and bowed respectfully to the elderly woman before leaving her home. As I headed back to Bard and the other dwarves, I couldn't help but feel determined.

I was going to prove to Kyja just how much I cared- even if I ended up dying in the process.

========================================================

Hello readers!

Sorry for the rushed ending. *cringes*

So you got to see a little bit of Fili's perspective. If you didn't notice, I tried to implement a few morals into this snippet, such as:

- Love is far more than a good feeling.
- Love should never be rushed.
- Kissing and intimacy isn't everything.
- Treat the one you care for with respect.

I mean, they haven't even kissed on the lips yet! (And they aren't going to anytime soon. Deal with it.) Fili is going to be respectful and gentlemanly. He just isn't going to jump right into a romance with Kyja. She's been through a lot, and her trust will have to be earned.

Isn't that the way a man should be?

Also, I kind of had Novalee be the "protective dad" figure. That may or may not be foreshadowing...

I hope you enjoyed this scene! Picture to the right is our beloved Fili :)