Facing the Truth

"Get down." I whispered. Bilbo crouched behind a set of rocks and watched me anxiously. Unfortunately I was still in the cloak, so maneuverability was limited.

Poking my head above the ledge, I caught sight of Azog and his Warg Scouts following a ridge line, occasionally smelling the air.

I scoffed as Bilbo gestured to something on the side. There, sitting on the rocks, was an abnormally large bear. It watched Azog and snarled softly. I shuddered, imagining what woman would go to bed with a creature so... scary.

"Is that your-"

"Yes Bilbo, that creature is my father." I replied. "I can hardly believe it either." We both snuck back to where Gandalf and the dwarves were waiting for our report.

"How close is the pack?" Dwalin asked.

"Too close. A couple of leagues, no more, but that is not the worst of it." I answered.

"Have the Wargs picked up our scent?"

"Not yet, but they will; we have another problem." Bilbo said.

"Did they see you? They saw you!" Gandalf exclaimed. I huffed impatiently as Bilbo corrected him.

"No, that's not it."

Gandalf turned to the dwarves and smiled. "What did I tell you?" Gandalf spoke. "Quiet as a mouse. Excellent burglar material."

The dwarves chuckled loudly as Bilbo stood there, looking quite exasperated. "Oy!" I exclaimed. "Quiet down!"

Bilbo smirked and continued on with his statement. "Look, I'm trying to tell you there is something else out there."

Everyone got a worried look on their face. I remained silent. Besides, I was curious about how they would react to the news.

"What form did it take? Like a bear?" Gandalf inquired.

"Ye-" Bilbo paused and stared confusedly at Gandalf. "Y-yes. But bigger, much bigger."

"You knew about this beast?" Bofur asked Gandalf. The wizard turned around and took a few steps in the other direction.

"I say we turn back." Bofur insisted.

"And be run down by a pack of Orcs." Thorin retorted.

Gandalf faced all of us, a somber frown played on his lips. "There is a house, it's not far from here where we might take refuge."

"Whose house? Are they friend or foe?"

"Neither. He will help us, or he will kill us." I smiled and winked at Bilbo. I was most certainly my father's girl.

"What choice do we have?" Thorin huffed.

A deafening roar split the night air, and the dwarves flinched. "None." Gandalf blurted.

Each of us ran for our lives as my father chased my friends and I through the forest. "Come on!" Gandalf cried. My shoulder throbbed as I raced through the trees.

All of a sudden each of us stopped as another roar echoed within our ears.

"This way, run!"

Bombur looked on in shock and I tugged on his arm. "Bombur, come on!"

As we exited the forest, my eyes beheld a house surrounded by a hedge in the middle of a plain. "To the house, run!" Gandalf exclaimed.

Bombur ended up beating all of us to the dwelling, and I stifled a laugh. However, all the humor drained out of me when I spotted a large bear leap out of the trees. My mouth dropped, in both shock and admiration.

"Open the door! Quickly!"

"Get inside! Kyja, what are you waiting for!"

Thorin yanked me inside the door, and I watched the head of the bear attempt to enter the room. It's jaws snapped wildly and several roars emerged from its mouth.

Bilbo pulled out his sword and aimed it at the bear unsteadily. Tapping him on the shoulder, I slowly urged him to put down the blade.

The dwarves eventually shut the door. Rubbing my forehead, I sighed in frustration.

"What is that?" Ori sputtered.

"That...is our host." Gandalf admitted.

Bilbo and all of the dwarves gasped in bewilderment.

"His name is Beorn, and he is a skin-changer. He is also Kyja's father." With that everyone in the room faced me. I placed my hands on my hips and glared back defiantly.

"What? Shocked that I'm related to that? Well, so am I."

Ori peeked out of a crack in the door and looked at Gandalf. "He's leaving!"

Dori pulled him away from the door and glanced at me. "Come away from there! It's not natural, none of it. It's obvious: he's under some dark spell."

Growling, I took a threatening step towards Dori. "Watch it, dwarf." I snapped. "I may be under a dark spell as well, who knows!" Dori bowed his head ashamedly.

"Don't be a fool; he's under no enchantment but his own, and neither is Kyja. Alright now, get some sleep, all of you. You'll be safe here tonight." Gandalf demanded.

I walked to a secluded part of the house and curled up in the corner. Thorin then walked in, and I groaned. "Do you need something?" I growled.

"I am just making sure you are alright." Thorin replied. I turned my body to where I was facing the wall. Even if I was in pain, which I clearly was, I wouldn't be telling him about it.

"Well, I am perfectly fine so you can go."

Thorin knelt down next to me, a perplexed expression on his face. "Why do you constantly turn everyone away?" He whispered.

"What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean."

"I've had my trust broken too many times. It's not safe to rely on others. I mean, look what happened to Mira when she relied on me!" My jaw tightened as Thorin's hand moved towards my face, but I swatted his hand away.

"Just realize that there are those who care about you. Pushing everyone away will only worsen your pain. Believe me, I would know."

My jaw set as I thought about what he just said. When was he so compassionate? Didn't Fíli admire me? Or do both... I shouldn't be thinking about this.

I closed my eyes and fell asleep to the sound of chirping crickets, dreaming of what the next day would bring.

~ Beorn's POV ~

She looked just like Ryovn.

Same hair, same eyes. Only this one had a spark about her, a stubborn spirit. A spirit that I possessed myself.

Could it be her?

Gandalf did predict my daughter and I would meet again.

I just hope she isn't a skin-changer. I wouldn't want her to bear the curse I had carried, the curse that only results in death.

==========================================================

Well hello! This is the start of the second portion of this fanfic. I do hope you liked it, because there's a lot more coming.

In case you didn't pick it up, Ryovn is Kyja's mother. As for what happened to her, well, that'll be revealed sooner or later....

Also- Thorin kissed Kyja on the cheek! Ooh, I know you may be mad at me. Now it's your job to determine who'll she will end up with. That is, IF she ends up with anyone.

Who knows, a third love interest may or may not show up within the story.

I know, I'm cruel. I just love playing these mind games!

Thank you so much for reading, and feel free to wish me a happy birthday- I'll be 16 tomorrow! Yay!

Picture to the right is Beorn- Goodness, he's just amazing! I wish he got more screen time in the movie.

Last thing- You guys like the new cover?