Coming to Terms

A small chuckle escaped my lips as Gandalf set a hand on the hobbit's shoulder, pleased to see him. "What in the name of Middle Earth are you doing here?"

As Bilbo proceeded to give an explanation, and conversation ensued between the two, Bard turned his gaze towards me. "If the wizard is correct about there being a battle... you and your friend should rest before then." He lifted an eyebrow when I did not respond. "Kyja, you are visibly exhausted. Getting even a few hours should do some good. I can take you to some empty rooms nearby."

I released a sigh and looked at him. As much as I wanted to argue with the man, he was right. "If you insist. I never knew that my well-being was a concern of yours."

Bard shook his head. "Not as much as the concern I have for the safety of my children. But I know of a dwarf or two that deeply care for you, and I am doing my best to respect that."

Well then. Bidding my temporary farewells to Gandalf and Bilbo, I motioned for Dramona to follow me as Bard led us to these rooms we'd stay in for the evening. I wasn't about to admit it, but finally getting some rest sounded unbelievably tantalizing. "You can stay here. Kyja will be down the hall from you on the left. There should be a bedroll inside along with some water and a washrag." The man said as he opened the door for her.

Dramona shifted her war-hammer and looked at me. "See ya bright 'n early, then?"

I nodded. "Yes." I didn't have the energy to say much more.

As she went into the room and shut the door behind her, Bard walked a little further down the hall before coming to a stop. He turned around and looked at me with a bit of hesitance in his expression. "Kyja... I never got the chance to thank you for helping to save my children."

My expression softened. "You don't have to thank me. None of us were about to leave them behind. And... I left halfway through to drown the Master of Laketown. Perhaps I'm not the right person to be thanking."

Bard reached up and rubbed the back of his neck before chuckling. "Perhaps not. But I chose to regardless." He then nodded his head respectfully, proceeding to walk past me- only stopping to say "Goodnight" before disappearing around the corner.

I looked down at the parcel containing the bodysuit in my hands before sighing and walking through the door. Inside were two bedrolls- one of them laid out, the other folded up and set beside the first. Across from them, set on a vanity table, was a bucket of water and a washrag. What took me off guard the most was the mirror fastened on the wall just above the vanity. I hadn't seen my reflection for the Valar knows how long... sure, I vaguely knew what I looked like, but to examine my physical appearance in detail?

Silently, I set the parcel down on the vanity's surface before peeling off my partial armor and clothes. Some blood had escaped from wounds I didn't know I had, causing the clothes to stick to my skin in a few areas. Before long I stood completely bare, vulnerable, in front of the mirror while taking in my reflection. The only things covering my body were scars. Physical remains of the hell that had once been, and the empty spaces acting as a welcome canvas for the future nightmarish artworks of my tormentors.

Nevertheless... a certain thought soon came to mind.

Does Fili truly find me beautiful?

Part of me thought he'd have to be insane to. What, with everything that had happened to me. I was not a virgin. I had a child, that soon passed away due to my negligence. I was not elegant, eloquent, or naturally kind-hearted like most women. I despised wearing dresses, flowers made me sick, and jewelry never felt right. So what exactly did he see in me?