Makeshift Family

~ Dream ~

I was too late.

I wasn't there to... protect her.

Little Mira, only three and a half years old. Jet black hair with eyes of sparkling silver. The picture of innocence, thrust into such dark circumstances.

"You need to get inside." I whispered, ushering the child into a house nearby. The sound of blood rushed into my ears accompanied with the terror-filled screams of humans. I could only hope she was subconsciously ignoring it. "Stay here, okay? I'll be back for you later, along with your father."

She looked up at me, fear spilling into her expression. I knew that Mira was far too young to understand what exactly was happening. If the circumstances were different I would've held her, reassured her, attempted to do something... but I couldn't. "Come back, pwomise?" The little girl whimpered. I nodded my head, kissing her forehead as I sprinted out the door.

There were so many of them. Orcs and humans alike were being slaughtered across the town. The mayor stood in the middle of the battle, pathetically attempting to rid off several of the horrid creatures. A few other guards and I fought on the outskirts, slaying any of the beasts who came our way.

"Kyja!" A messenger cried. "The mayor's house! It's been set ablaze, come quick!" Time seemed to slow down drastically as I followed the guard towards Mira's location.

I kept telling myself that she was safe. Alive.

I was telling myself lies, because that's when I saw it.

That's when I saw it. A large, pale Orc holding Mira by the neck and snarling at me. Crimson stains speckled the front of her dress, and I wanted to vomit. Her lifeless corpse was then thrown in my direction. In a quick attempt to catch her, I jumped to the side as her body collided with mine. Tears welled up in my arms as I cradled the little one in my arms and smoothed out her hair. The pale Orc simply looked down at me and spoke something in its native tongue.

Like poison, I could feel pure rage making its way into my bloodstream and my bones, intoxicating me in a state of unstoppable fury. Before I fully realized it, I had transformed into a full-grown panther and I leapt onto the white monster, clawing at his chest.

~ End of Dream ~

"Mira! No!" I screamed, awakening from the all-too familiar nightmare. With Fili and Kili having been disturbed by my outburst, they came over to me with concerned expressions.

"Kyja? Are you well? What's wrong?" Fili asked, kneeling down in front of me.

"Nervous, possibly?" Kili added as he moved to my other side. Goodness, I was never used to this much positive attention. It made me uncomfortable.

I shook my head while blinking a few times in an attempt to regain my composure. "I'm fine. I just had some nightmare... it was nothing." I mumbled. Seeing as they weren't entirely convinced, I decided to skip the conflict all-together. As I stood up, I saw Ballin watching me out of the corner of my eye. "Look, I just need to go by myself for a little while. Please. I'm fine." They both nodded as I headed into the nearby brush. Years later her death still bothered me, and I couldn't help but be overcome by anger.

The pitch black of midnight both scared and comforted me. My breathing started to get more shallow and my inner animal pleaded with me to be released, only for a little while. I ignored it. I knew what had happened the last time I granted my inner animal access.... Once I knew I was out of the company's sight, I clenched my fist and punched the nearest tree with all of my strength. "Damn!" I exclaimed, ignoring the blood starting to seep out of my knuckles.