(Epilogue Pt. 4) Durin, Party of Six

In my brutally honest nature, I will state that Fili and I had no issue bearing multiple children.

About a year after Mira had joined our family, it had come to my attention that I was expecting. Fili was ecstatic, as was our daughter, who spent the following months preparing herself to be the "other Mommy".

Nevertheless, I had to call in a doctor when I was four months along. Several women had remarked that my abdomen was far larger than most mothers-to-be were, and after an examination, the doctor came to the conclusion that I was pregnant with twins. I do recall Fili being in more of a state of shock than I was.

As time passed on, we were greeted with several jokes and praises from the dwarves. I was accused of swallowing a whole gourd on a daily basis, but their teasing was always followed with a sincere congratulations. By eight months, despite my innate stubbornness and perseverance, I was bedridden. Carrying two babies put an incredible amount of strain on my body, and there was no room to argue that I could stay mobile. Granted, staying in bed for the majority of the day was more torturous than staying in an Orcish prison. Nevertheless, I certainly wasn't about to put the health of my babies at risk.

Sure enough, the day came where the twins decided to make their entrance into the world.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The cry of my two brand new babies pierced the stillness in the air, but it only caused me to draw them closer. I had only given birth moments before, and the nurse had wiped them down before laying them both on my bare chest. I wasn't feeling particularly well, but nothing was going to stop me from being with my children. For skin-changer mothers especially, skin-to-skin contact was crucial for the development of their young. Babies needed to know their mother and father's scent as a means of comfort and security.

With the nurse gone, Fili and I were left alone with our little ones. A boy and a girl named Fion and Opal. Both of them had a small patch of blonde hair atop their heads. They had their father's coloring. My expression softened when Opal began to cry even harder, her tiny frame trembling against my chest. "Sweetheart, it's all right." I murmured, gently stroking the baby hairs on her head. I then looked up at my husband who was sitting right next to me. "Fili, could you grab the blanket on the end table for me?"

Once he did, the dwarf gently placed the blanket over the babies and I, tucking it in at the corners. I carefully scooted Opal closer to her brother and grinned upon seeing how the twins were calmed down by their mutual presence. The crying was soon reduced to whimpers and the usual cooing noises that newborns made. Fili leaned forward and pecked me on the lips before stroking my hair. "You did wonderful, Kyja... you brought our children into the world. Thank you."

I smiled back at him, then lightly kissing the dwarf once more. With how exhausted and sick I felt, I could only imagine what I looked like to Fili... it was a blessing to be married to a man that couldn't care less. "You are welcome, Fili- it was an honor. And now they're finally here with us." As if on cue, Fion squirmed at his position on my chest before opening his blue eyes and peering at Fili curiously.

The older dwarf beamed with pride. "Hello, Fion... I'm your Papa." He chuckled, gently stroking his son's back. The baby didn't respond, only continuing to watch the strange blur of talking colors before him. Fili shook his head with a smile when Opal whimpered from her place next to Fion. "I haven't forgotten you, sweetheart- Papa's right here." I watched the following exchange with a grin as he leaned forward and kissed the both of their heads. The twins squirmed at the unfamiliar sensation, causing Fili and I to chuckle.