Cruel Anticipation

Read the note at the end of this chapter thank you.

The formerly joyous feelings of courtship were eradicated when Thorin's voice was heard bellowing through the mountain. "Call everyone to the gate!" He exclaimed. "To the gate! Now!" Eyebrows furrowed, I exchanged glances with Fili before standing up and heading towards the gate, followed by the other dwarves.

"What's going on?" Bofur asked.

"Survivors from Laketown." Dwalin said in response, balling his hands into fists. "Hundreds of them... they are streaming into Dale." Novalee, I thought to myself.

It did not take long for Thorin to meet us at the gate with a look of pure sickness in his eyes. A portion of his face was still red from where I struck him. Nevertheless, it didn't appear to have done much good for his well-being. "I want this fortress made safe by sun-up. This mountain was hard won- I will not see it taken again." He growled, nodding towards the pile of rubble created by Smaug's exit. Did he mean to build a wall? The dwarf had truly lost it. Seeing my frustration, Fili gently squeezed my hand, then removing it before his uncle could see. Thorin scowled at us. "What are you all waiting for? Daybreak is nearly at an end."

The company all looked at one another before stepping forward and placing the rocks on the ground to make a steady foundation. Normally, I would have grabbed the fool by his throat to bring back some form of sense... but it was clear none of that would work on him. There was seemingly no cure for the dwarf's sickness. So, to prevent any conflict- as well as honor Fili's familial ties with him... I decided to be docile and help the dwarves with the stones. Docile. The word itself made me want to gag. It was truly weakness.

"The people of Laketown have nothing!" Kili said. "They came to us in need. They have lost everything."

"Do not tell me what they have lost. I know well enough their hardship." Thorin bellowed, glaring down upon the man who was once his beloved nephew. It seemed, now, even family could not get through to him. "Those who have lived through dragon-fire should rejoice. They have much to be grateful for." Seeing the despair on Kili's face was hard enough.

As the dwarf-king called for more stone to be brought, I walked towards him. Might as well try to by sympathetic. "This isn't your fault, Kili."

"Then who's fault is it?" He snapped, roughly placing a rock within a crevice. "I knew it was a mistake, to stay in Laketown as he left with the others... I could have spoken to him."

I shook my head. "Look at all that's happened because we've spoken to him. This gold- all of the wealth- it's cursed. It's made Thorin sick beyond what we understand." A weary sigh escaped my lips. "You're not to blame, Kili. None of us are."

Hours later, the glimmering campfires of the people of Laketown stood out against the night sky. The wall was about three-quarters finished, and Thorin had the dwarves working into the night.

Meanwhile, I had made up my mind.

"You won't be safe out there." Fili muttered as we headed up towards the balcony of the wall.

I gripped the rope under my arm, and once we had made it to the top, I met his gaze. "No, I won't be. And the longer Thorin is ill, you all will not be safe inside the mountain. I'm going out to find Gandalf- speak to Bard. Someone should do something to help- and at the least, knock some sense into Thorin's thick head." We both grew quiet as Fili took a lookout position, and I fastened one end of the rope around a rocky edge, tugging it to ensure its strength. As I dropped the rest of the rope down I turned to look at the dwarf, having crouched somewhat due to the lack of space.