Dangerous Spontaneity

Read to the end to see pictures from my trip to Northern Ireland!

After having decided on an alliance, Dramona and I headed off towards the remaining citizens of Laketown. They had taken refuge inside what was left of Dale. We had agreed that it would be easier to simply knock out a couple of guards rather than negotiate that we should be granted access. By this point the entrance of Dale was only feet away. I leaned against the wall and collected my thoughts before lifting an eyebrow at the dwarf. "Damn that hammer of yours... I'm sure my back is broken."

Dramona shrugged to herself as she adjusted the mentioned weapon resting across her left shoulder. "Then kindly don't startle me again." I rolled my eyes as she craned her neck up to get a good look at the remains of Dale. "So how do ye reckon we'll get up this wall?"

"We're not climbing up it." I replied. "We'll go through the city to find who I'm looking for, and knock out some guards if needed." I shifted my weight, internally frustrated that I didn't bring more clothing to provide warmth. Not that I was about to mention it. "These people are weak because of the attack of their home. I doubt they'll be in the mood to fight much." After making sure there wasn't anyone nearby, I motioned for her to follow me.

As we turned the corner and started heading up a remote corridor, I paused at the sound of clanking metal. I turned around and glared down at Dramona. Her boots- no, all of her armor- was making a loud clanging noise against the stone path. "When I think of stealth, the usual picture is not of a dwarf in complete metal armor." I hissed. "Take it down a notch, would you?"

She lifted an eyebrow. "Ooh sorry, am I makin' too much noise? Then good gracious, let me jus' turn into a pret-ty elf that tiptoes everywhere an' frolicks in the trees!" Dramona snapped quietly, imitating a 'pretty elf' and stepping about in her iron-clad boots.

An annoyed growl escaped my lips before something moving in the dark caught my eye. From what we could see across the corridor, most of the men that acted as guards were closer to the huddles of tents and makeshift homes. They didn't anticipate a threat. Not that we were a threat- but we could be interpreted as unwelcome company. Nevertheless, when a bit of moonlight cast itself onto the figure's face... I felt a sensation that could only be described as relief. "Gandalf."

The wizard's eyebrows furrowed as he momentarily paused to look for the source of the voice. He then sighed. "Kyja... there you are, someone who can perhaps give some answers." I looked him over, as if I had been reunited with a long lost family member. I then shook my head.

"I don't have any answers. That's why I came here. To find Bard- however, you're even better." My eyebrows furrowed when his gaze flickered to the dwarf standing beside me. Ah... that's right. "This is Dramona Ironfoot... apparently the daughter of Lord Dain Ironfoot." Dramona looked between the two of us before nodding curtly. The wizard then sighed.

"I do wish I had time to exchange polite words, however, I cannot. I need to speak with whoever is in charge here." Before Gandalf could say any more, we were interrupted by a voice which could curdle the insides of any human being.

"No, no, no! Oi! You- pointy hat!" Alfrid exclaimed, rubbing the back of his dirt-covered neck. Dramona lifted an eyebrow at the man, while I resisted the urge to vomit. He soon came to a stop in front of us- although appeared a bit intimidated at the sight of my presence. Gandalf exchanged glances with me before focusing his gaze at the man. A bit of confusion and annoyance had already crept into his expression. "Yes, you. We don't want no tramps, beggars, nor vagabonds around here. We got enough trouble without the likes of you. Off you go!"

"Who's in charge here? That is what I would like to know!" Gandalf replied.

Alfrid rolled his eyes. "As if you've got a need for business! Wizard that you are... last time you lot showed up, you brought a bloody dragon!"