War Upon Us

I woke up on an empty bedroll, my fingers twitching in a desperate attempt to be intertwined with the hands of my ever-beloved. A drowsy breath escaped my lips as I rolled over onto my back and ran my hands over my face. Glimmering rays of golden-white sunlight peered through the open window, stretched over the ground, and shone right in my line of vision. I blinked a few times and attempted to shield my eyes before sitting bolt upright. That's right... I couldn't sit around for long. There was business to attend to. I didn't have time to mourn.

After adjusting the bodysuit Gandalf gave me, I ran my fingers through my hair after deciding to just leave it down. It was choppy and a bit messy in nature. My eyes were still bloodshot from the events of the former night, but there was nothing but pure heartache and anger in them. Good. The more unstable I looked, the easier it would be to scare the hell out of whoever needed coercing. I fastened Baratinu's sheath around my waist before heading out the door.

It didn't take long until I was walking alongside Dramona, Gandalf, Bilbo, and many others in the direction of the dwarves. I was eager to see Fili again, as well as the others- I hoped they were doing as well as could be possible. If Thorin was still acting as insane now as when I'd left him, however....

Evidently, I appeared to be right. Minutes after we'd arrived at the blockades separating us from them, I watched as Thorin shot an arrow from his bow and it fastened itself into the ground between Thranduil and Bard. "I will put the next one between your eyes!" He snarled, causing the other dwarves to erupt in cheer. I looked upwards and managed to catch Fili's gaze. He just looked at me for a moment, a tender expression on his face- but his attention was soon diverted, courtesy of the following exchanges.

I immediately became tense when the legion of elves all armed their bows and aimed them up at the company. The cheering ceased, and I exchanged glances with Dramona and Gandalf. Yes, Thorin was being unreasonable- but if any of the dwarves were hurt by the hands of elves... blood would be spilled at the hands of untameable nature. Thranduil's lips turned up into a smirk as he shifted his weight. "We have come to tell you: payment of your debt has been offered... and accepted."

Raging disbelief washed over the dwarven king's face. "What payment? I gave you nothing! You have nothing!"

"We have this." Bard interjected, pulling the Arkenstone out of his pocket.

Thorin lowered his bow, unable to comprehend what he was seeing. Kili, meanwhile, spoke up before his brother or anyone else could stop him. "They have the Arkentstone?" He exclaimed. "Thieves! How came you by the heirloom of our house? That stone belongs to the King!"

"And the King may have it," Bard replied, "in our good will. But first, he must honor his word."

My eyebrows furrowed when Thorin turned back to his kin momentarily, uttering words I could not hear from a distance. He then turned back around with obvious rage in his expression. "The Arkenstone is in this mountain! It is a trick!"

"It's- It's no trick. The stone is real. I gave it to them." A voice said.

What happened next would be an exchange I would never forget. As Bilbo stepped out onto the ramparts, even those from a distance could witness the mutual shock and sorrow expressed by the dwarves. Thorin appeared to be in absolute disbelief. As the heated conversation ensued, I allowed my gaze to travel across the field in which we were all settled. I couldn't place my finger on it, but... something didn't feel right. Perhaps it was the amount of tension in the air, or the presence of elves- nevertheless, I felt as if there was something wrong. A general uneasiness.