The Nature of Dwarves

I awoke to the sound of several frantic voices accompanied by the rapid shuffling of feet. I naturally assumed it was the dwarves... although I tended to be quite unforgiving regarding an interruption to my sleep. Couldn't they have afforded to be a little quieter?

"Come on, we're getting ready to leave!" Fili shouted.

"Will I have to come up there myself and get you?" Kili said, a sarcastic edge to his voice.

I rolled my eyes. The dwarves had an attitude. How delightful- they would soon grow accustomed to mine. Stretching my arms, I turned my head and saw the two brothers standing beneath the tree, smirks on both of their lips. "A dwarf climbing a tree?" I retorted. "Wouldn't that be an interesting sight! I'd like to see how you'd get your stubby little legs over each of the branches."

With a groan, I slid myself off of the tree branch and landed somewhat inelegantly onto the ground, just a foot or so in front of Fili. "My bad." I muttered, brushing some leaves out of my hair. My eyes then narrowed when I noticed both of their gazes were fixated on a particular area. "What are you both staring at?"

I glanced down at my hands, which were still in the form of paws. Damn. "Wipe the shocked looks off your face, boys. They're a pair of my favorite 'gloves'." I growled, hiding them behind my back.

"Of course they are." Kili snickered as he pulled out his sword. "And this is a letter opener." Fili glared at him while I laughed.

Switching my hands back to normal, I grimaced as a familiar voice entered my ears.

"Fili! Kili! Have you gotten the girl?" Thorin bellowed. Oh, so I was just referred to as "the girl" now? I thought. I'm going to have to have a talk with this arrogant son of a-

"Yes we do. We'll get her a pony." Fili replied. Rolling my eyes, I stepped past the brothers and stormed towards the front of the house. The other dwarves were talking amongst themselves while attaching various forms of luggage to the ponies. I soon spotted Thorin and proceeded to jab my index finger into his shoulder. Once he turned around, I flashed him a fake smile before a scowl made its way into my expression.

"I'd appreciate if you called me by my name and not my gender." I snarled. "If not, I shall call you bearded-man from now on, since that happens to be your only defining feature." Before he could respond I turned right back around and marched to the front of the company where Gandalf was on his horse.

"I don't know if I can do this." I said to him. "You don't know how tempting it is to slit the Dwarf-King's throat at times- and I've only known the man for a day!" Gandalf chuckled and patted the mane of his horse.

"Kyja, you must have patience." He replied. "Thorin has lost quite a lot, and that anger sometimes rises. Do not take it personally. Speaking of anger rising- I do believe you can relate to him more than you'd like to admit."

"Are you serious?!" I exclaimed loudly, catching the attention of the entire Company. I released a breath before lowering my voice and looking right at the wizard. "Look- that does not excuse the fact that he's been an arrogant moron for the past day and a half!"

"Well, you haven't been too courteous either." Gandalf argued. My mouth fell open as he lifted an eyebrow. He had me there.

I rubbed the back of my neck as a means of calming down some. My inner animal was dying to be released so I could knock a few heads together. "Look, I'm going to run ahead of you all. I need the space." I started sprinting down the path, ignoring the cries of protest from Gandalf and a few other dwarves.

It felt amazing to be moving again. My feet glided across the ground as I ran through the narrow streets of Hobbiton. My heart seemed to be pounding in unison with every step of contact my feet made with the ground. I continued to sprint until I had left the Company far behind, which is where I slowed down for a brief period of time.