Shifting Eternity (Part 2)

After having released Fili, I watched the two brothers run off into the distance, soon disappearing into the blur of winter. I released a sigh before turning to face the oncoming enemies. Thorin looked at me with a slightly softer expression than normal and opened his mouth to say something- perhaps a word of encouragement, however, he did not. The dwarf simply shut his mouth and unsheathed his sword.

The goblins were now only about twenty feet away, giving us a few moments to prepare. I silently gripped the handle of Baratinu, unsheathed it, and held the sword by my side. I would temporarily have to let go of any thoughts regarding Fili and Kili while fighting- just for the sake of not being distracted.

"Ready, lass?" Dwalin asked.

I turned my head to meet his gaze, eyes sparking. "Ready."

Without hesitation I charged towards the hoard of goblins, weapon drawn, teeth bared, heart anxious. I thrusted Baratinu through the first goblin's torso- which was followed by a satisfying splurch. Dwalin sliced through the enemies with his pair of battle axes, decapitating one bastard right after the other.

With Thorin assisting us in the endeavor, we were actually making quick work out of the goblins. They were far less muscular than the Orcs, however, because of their smaller built they possessed more speed. I grit my teeth when a blade of Orcish design slashed across the top of my thigh.

The goblin smiled at me maliciously.

I smiled back.

Then, I grew out my claws on my free hand and plunged them into his eye sockets. He let out an inhuman cry as I secured two fingers within each socket and quickly pulled them out once more, effectively separating the flesh on his face. I remained unphased. I had experienced and seen too much to be phased by this.

It seemed to be over within a few minutes, although I knew that was not the case. The goblins themselves were dropping like flies despite the recently acquired injuries Thorin, Dwalin, and I had gained in battle. Thorin was slicing through three goblins that had made the mistake of surrounding him, while I turned around and saw yet another enemy standing, hunched over slightly. I glanced at Dwalin. "You want him?"

The dwarf released a breath, gripping his axes. "Wouldn't mind if I do!" He approached the goblin from behind, lifted his axe, and sunk the weapon into the middle of the creature's skull. Thorin let out a war cry as he ended the life of the last goblin. We all took a brief moment to regain our bearings. The goblins had not been particularly hard to fight, nevertheless, it took quite a bit of energy to defeat them all.

What took the three of us even more off guard was when Bilbo appeared out of nowhere, next to us on the frozen river. The hobbit bent over slightly as he was visibly exhausted. "Th-Thorin..."

"Bilbo!" The dwarf king replied, surprised.

Bilbo shifted his weight anxiously and directed his gaze towards the watchtower where Fili and Kili were located. ""You have to leave here! Now! Azog has another army attacking from the north. This watchtower will be completely surrounded. There'll be no way out."

My eyes widened, and an anxious pang made itself known in the pit of my stomach. I felt sick. Nervous. I needed to do something. "I'm leaving for them. There's no way in hell I'm letting Azog's army get to them!"

"We are so close!" Dwalin argued as he shook his head. "That orc scum is in there. I say we push in."

I balled my hands into fists. "This isn't a game, Dwalin! Their lives are at stake!" Before they could make any more arguments, I quickly sheathed Baratinu and took off running across the frozen river. The cries of Thorin and Dwalin soon faded, muffled in the snowfall. Some of the adrenaline that had built up during the fight was starting to wear off. My body ached with every pounding step I took across the ice, but I ignored it. I had to.