The Bargeman

Please read the note at the end of this chapter. Thanks!

==========================================================

Who did this man think he was? As I resisted the temptation to bite off a piece of his flesh, a flash of silver flew past my eyes.

Mithren perched onto my shoulder and pecked at my hair. Long time no see, eh? She teased.

Where were you? I growled. And why do you have to fly away at the worst times?

Perhaps I had business to take care of.

And what kind of business would a talking bird be involved in?

The kind of business that a skin-changer would not be capable of understanding.

I can't believe I missed you.

"And your wife, I'd imagine she's a beauty." Balin smiled. I snapped out of my trance and observed that the dwarf had managed to start a conversation with the man.

"She was." He answered as he loaded our barrels onto his boat.

Okay, I felt a little guilty- but I still didn't like the guy. He's far too arrogant.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"Oh, come on, come on, enough with the niceties." Dwalin huffed to Thorin.

"What's your hurry?" The man inquired.

"What's it to you?" I snapped. "Last time I checked our business was private."

"I would like to know who you are and what you are doing in these lands." He replied.

I let out a deep sigh and attempted to calm myself down. Easy Kyja, easy... just cool it. He's not meaning any harm.

"We are simple merchants from the Blue Mountains journeying to see our kin in the Iron Hills." Balin stated.

"Simple merchants you say?" The man raised his eyebrows in curiosity. "What about the girl?"

"What about me?" I bellowed. "You'd better shut that mouth of yours before I stick my sword down it!"

Thorin grabbed my arm roughly and shot an apologetic glare at the bargeman. "What she's trying to say is that she has family in the Iron Hills as well."

The man gave everyone a doubtful look as he continued loading the barrels onto his ship. "We'll need food, supplies, weapons. Can you help us?" He continued.

"I know where these barrels came from."

I bit my lip nervously as he observed the various nicks and dents the barrels received from our encounter with the Orcs.

"What of it?" Thorin asked.

"I don't know what business you had with the elves, but I don't think it ended well. No one enters Laketown but by leave of the Master. All his wealth comes from trade with the Woodland Realm. He will see you in irons before risking the wrath of King Thranduil."

The dark-haired individual boarded the barge and threw a rope to Balin. "Offer him more." Thorin mouthed to us.

"I'll wager there are ways to enter that town unseen." Balin coaxed.

"Aye. But for that, you will need a smuggler."

"For which we will pay double."

I smirked as the bargeman contemplated the offer he was just given. However, my mind wasn't completely at rest.