A Bittersweet Homecoming

Something soft brushed my face, and I flinched. A small gray and white bird hovered in front of my face before gliding out the door.

Yawning, I stood up and heard voices coming from another room. Oh wonderful. Everyone is already awake. I groaned and assembled my hair into a simple braid.

As I pulled the cloak close to my body, the bird flew back into the room. It made its way over to me and landed contently on my shoulder.

I giggled as the creature flapped its wings, tickling my neck. Surprisingly, it didn't move once when I prepared to join the company.

"There are others like you?" Bilbo asked. I cringed as everyone's gaze met mine. Beorn stared at me in shock, and it took all of my strength not to let my mouth drop.

"Once there were many." Beorn replied.

"And now?"

"Now there is only one." I shuffled my feet awkwardly and glanced at Bilbo. Did my father not know that I was a skin-changer?

As my eyes looked him over, it was quite obvious to see that he was truly a monster of a man! I mean, he stood taller than any mortal I've seen- even Gandalf!

The dwarves shot me concerned glares as I took a seat in the corner. This was not uncomfortable whatsoever.

"You need to reach the mountain before the last days of autumn?" My father asked us.

"Before Durin's Day falls, yes." Gandalf replied.

"You are running out of time."

"Which is why we must go through Mirkwood." I interrupted. Beorn looked at me sadly before continuing on.

"A darkness lies upon that forest. Foul things creep beneath those trees. There is an alliance between the Orcs of Moria and the Necromancer in Dol Guldur. I would not venture there except in great need."

"We will take the Elven Road. That path is still safe."

"Safe? The Wood-Elves of Mirkwood are not like their kin. They're less wise and more dangerous. But it matters not."

"What do you mean?" Thorin inquired. I gently stroked the bird's chest and sighed quietly. For some reason, I felt so at peace.

"These lands are crawling with Orcs. Their numbers are growing, and you are on foot. You will never reach the forest alive." Beorn replied.

All of the dwarves appeared to be in shock, and Beorn started to walk towards Thorin. "I don't like dwarves. They're greedy and blind, blind to the lives of those they deem lesser than their own." He muttered.

Picking up a mouse who was scampering across the table, my father stared at Thorin and growled softly.

"But Orcs I hate more. What do you need?"

I sat for quite a bit watching my father get the dwarves settled with supplies. A moment or so afterwards, he walked up to me, glancing at the bird.

"Kyja?" He asked.

"That's me." I answered.

"Come with me." Beorn said. I followed him outside and inhaled the fresh scent of the trees. "Do you want to know about your mother?" He asked.

I nodded solemnly as I sat on the ground. The bird who had been accompanying me perched onto a nearby branch and watched us curiously.

"Ryovn was her name. A sweet, kind-hearted woman she was. I found her in the woods, surrounded by a pack of Orcs."

~ Flashback: Beorn's POV ~

The scream echoed in my ears, causing my nose to twitch. It sounded as if it was female- but what would a person be doing out this late?