Sudden Recognition

This isn't really a "chapter." I just wanted this scene to be separate. Enjoy!

==========================================================

My mouth fell open as the woman clapped her hands excitedly. "Wh- what? I'm not your daughter!" I exclaimed.

"Of course you are." She babbled. "Oh Ryovn, how you've changed...." Grabbing my forearm, she led me inside her house.

"I- I think you are mistaken!" I blurted as she gestured to a nearby chair. "I am not Ryovn! My name is Kyja!"

She turned around curiously and exhaled loudly. "What do you mean?"

I shifted my feet awkwardly and licked my lips. "I am Ryovn's daughter, Kyja."

Her eyes widened as her knees began to buckle. I leapt out of the chair and grabbed both of her arms. As I helped her to sit down, I caught a glimpse of a painting on the wall. The lady was absolutely beautiful.

"Oh, oh please fetch me some water my dear."

I walked towards her kitchen and grabbed a wooden mug. Snatching the bucket of water on the ground, I poured roughly half of the liquid into the cup.

"Here you go." I said. She grabbed it eagerly and began to drink.

"You can... call me Novalee." She sputtered between gulps. I stood there quietly until the silence grew unbearable.

"So, who exactly are you?" I inquired.

"I am Ryovn's mother." She replied. "I have not seen my daughter in years."

~ Flashback: Novalee's POV ~

"Mother! How could you!" she cried. "You cannot just sell me away, like a herd of cattle."

"The papers have already been signed. Two days from now you will be married to the Master of Laketown." I explained.

Tears streamed out of my daughter's eyes as she bounded out the door. I sighed and reached for the broom that I had set in the corner of the room.

The Master's assisstant, Alfrid, told me that the Master found my daughter to be the fairest in the whole town.

The official deal was that if my daughter married him, all of my financial debts would be removed.

Ever since my husband passed away, it had become increasingly difficult for me to pay the monthly dues.

I figured this would be the perfect way to end our troubles. If only Ryovn would cooperate for once.

~ End of Flashback ~

"That was the day she ran away. I have not seen her since." Novalee bowed her head as her chin trembled. "I have never made a bigger mistake in my entire life."

I gently grabbed both of her hands and squeezed them. "Could... could you tell me what this Master of Laketown looks like?"

"Y- yes." She sniffled. "He is a tall man, with copper-colored hair and a thin mustache. Oh- and he also loves to drink. Why do you ask?"

At that moment, my heart stopped. Every single memory of that horrid man came rushing back.

He hurt me. That man hurt me. And to think- my mother was going to marry him.

I blinked back tears as Novalee lifted up my chin. "My dear, whatever is the matter?"

All of a sudden I melted into the woman's embrace. Her thin arms wrapped around my shoulders as I held back the urge to scream.

So many emotions were flowing through my body at this point. As she stroked my hair, I revealed everything that had happened to me that I could remember.

"It appears as if both of us have been hurt." Novalee whispered. "However, time can heal many wounds."

I steadied my breath as she stood up and walked over to a small chest. "Count memories as blessings- even the bad ones." She smiled. "So many people tend to focus on the future without realizing true knowledge lies in the past."

Novalee then pulled some sort of pendant out of the box. "I want you to keep this." She said as the piece of jewelry was placed in my hand. "It used to be Ryovn's."

Upon closer inspection, I saw that the actual stone itself appeared to be made of several different colors. "What is this?" I asked.

"Opal." She answered. "Some say the stone represents hope, happiness, and loyalty."

I stood up and gave the woman another hug. "Thank you." The scent of pine needles and soil wafted into my nostrils as a cry erupted from outside.

"The dwarves." I muttered. "I'm sorry, but I have to go. I suggest you stay inside. It won't be very pleasant out there."

Novalee snatched the pendant out of my hand and quickly fastened it around my neck. "Stay safe my dear. And may the Valar be with you."

Before I could ask how she knew about the Valar, my mind identified someone's voice that I hadn't heard in quite a while....

The voice of Mira's father.

==========================================================

I'm assuming most of you had a good feeling that he was the one, but still- now you know! Comment if you are going to hate him even more when you re-watch the movie.

So, Novalee turned out to be Ryovn's mother! You also know why/how Beorn found her in the woods.

I hope it tied up some loose ends.

How will Kyja react when she sees the Master of Laketown?

Will the dwarves discover the truth?

You'll just have to wait. Thanks for reading and for all of the lovely comments- they make my day.

Did I mention this has reached over 10,000 reads?! That's amazing!

Picture to the right is Kyja's opal pendant.