The End of the Beginning

Once you are done, please read the very end excerpt of this chapter. Thanks.

==========================================================

"Your- your daughter?" He sputtered. I nodded my head. "Well, where is your husband?"

I clenched my fists and exhaled loudly. "First of all, Mira's father wasn't my husband." As if I'd have a husband. I'm not too fond of the whole commitment concept.

"Then how did-"

"He was the mayor of the town. I had been working as his servant for a few years. You know, cleaning the house, tending the gardens. What wasn't on my job description was fulfilling his... other needs."

"So you mean...."

"Thorin, I was violated. He came into my bedroom extremely drunk, and started touching me. I was afraid to switch into my other form, because I could've lost my job." Why was I telling him this? It was as if someone had lit an entire forest on fire. The trees couldn't stop burning, I couldn't stop talking....

I paused awkwardly, letting it all sink in. I wondered what thoughts were running through his mind.

"I'm so sorry." He muttered. I closed my eyes, and continued to speak.

"A month later I discovered I was pregnant. Once he found out, he threatened to kill the child. I begged him to change his mind, and he made me a deal."

My chin trembled at the memory of what was said to me. Thorin shifted his weight, blue eyes sad. When did I turn so soft? And when did he act so caring, as if he actually possessed a heart?

"He said that the child could live, but it would be known as his son or daughter. I would be the child's nanny. To be honest, I was grateful for that. Any contact with my child would be good enough for me." I stood up and crossed my arms. "I'm sorry." I said. "I don't know why I'm telling you this. I just- I just...." I broke down into tears as I slammed my fist again the wall. I really needed to work on my inner anger.

"Kyja, enough." Thorin demanded. I glared at him, my face turning red. "This will not help."

"It won't?" I spat. "Then what will Thorin, what will? Have you ever lost a daughter before?"

"No, I have not. But I have lost a grandfather, and a father!" He bellowed, jumping up and facing me.

"Oh, as if that's the same! At least they didn't have to bargain for their lives! Why, I almost lost my child!"

"You better stop now. I'm warning you."

"Why don't you make me? Goodness Thorin, you don't know the meaning of loss! You are just an angry king with a rag-tag group of friends attempting to reclaim a lost-"

Then... he smacked me. Thorin Oakenshield, King under the mountain, smacked me. I stumbled to the left, the blow causing my vision to blur. It wasn't a hard blow, nor was it soft. Just a slap. Nevertheless, I had to blink a few times just to be sure I wasn't back with the Master.

"I have lost more than you will ever know. You know absolutely nothing of the world." He growled.

I rose to my feet and pointed to the door. "Get out." I bellowed. "Get out!" I may have been acting strong on the outside, but internally I was on the verge of breaking.

It had been years since a man had ever hit me like that before. Sure, I had gotten in fights with several males, but not like this. I didn't usually provoke the situation, as difficult as that was to believe.

"As you wish." He murmured. As he walked to the door, he turned to face me one last time. Thorin's tone resembled something of guilt. The dwarf was most likely faking. "I'm sorry."

"Damn you." I hissed. As the door slammed shut, I let out a groan and buried my face in my hands. So it was decided. I would be leaving the company.

Once I finished changing into more comfortable clothing, I grabbed the dagger and strapped it to my side. Just as I was about to leave, I spotted something shining in the corner. "What is this?" I asked myself. Examining it closer, I saw it was the sword I had picked up in the troll's cave. How did I forget about this?

It was beautifully crafted, I had to admit. The pommel and cross guard were created using silver, and the actual blade itself had abstract designs etched into it. An absolutely gorgeous weapon overall.

However, it didn't look of elvish make. Perhaps it was forged by the dwarves? Then again, I couldn't picture dwarves carving miniature dragons on one of their weapons. Shrugging, I grabbed the sword and jogged over to the door.

As I opened it, Bilbo stood outside with his hands on his hips. It was an amusing sight. "Are you really leaving?" He asked.

"Yes Bilbo, I am."

"Well, I wish you the best of luck out there." He said, sticking out his hand. I shook it and smiled, although doubt crept into my expression.

"Same to you, Master Baggins. Be sure to say farewell to Gandalf for me. As for the other dwarves- tell them it had to be done."

He nodded sadly as I headed down the path, admiring the scenery. I hope he understood. I mean, it wasn't his fault I was leaving. I didn't want to be a burden on the others.

Besides, if I spent one more day with Thorin, somebody was going to get killed- and it wasn't going to be me. My face still stung from where he hit me, and I grimaced. Another injury to add to the list. Wonderful.

Nevertheless, there was no greater injury then what that man did to me. The day I was blessed with a child, and cursed with a memory.

==========================================================

First, let me establish the fact that rape is not a joke, no matter what you've heard. When I went on a mission trip to the country of Nicaragua, I visited several orphanages. All of the children there, ages ranging from 2 to 15, had been sexually abused at one point.

I remember playing with a certain little boy who's story is heartbreaking. When he first arrived at the orphanage, he got a medical exam. The doctors noticed several bruises on his bottom and wondered where those were from. It turned out he had been raped by his stepfather.

2 years old. 2 YEARS OLD. I couldn't help but think of those poor kids as I wrote this chapter. Honestly, I had to stop at some points because I was close to crying.

Getting back on subject, I hope this chapter made an impact on you. I promise I'll be writing more "uplifting" ones soon. Just bear with me! Thanks for all the lovely comments and support.

Also, picture to the right is the sword Kyja picked up. A little cheesy perhaps, but it looked cool.