Discovering Something More

I headed back to my father's house, the bird chirping alongside me. "I must give you a name." I whispered, opening the front door. "I think I'll call you Mithren."

Mithren meant gray in Sindarin. The bird sung happily and flew around the house.

Everything was silent, except for the occasional buzzing of a few bumblebees. I walked over to a large chest with my mother's name on it.

My eyes were greeted with the sight of several frilly dresses. Oh, please tell me there is something else, I mean- ah, there we go!

It was a beautifully crafted piece of leather armor. Gold leaves were painted on the front of it along with the sleeves. With that I also managed to find a pair of black pants.

Man, these dwarves are not going to know what hit them. I threw the cloak off, glad I wouldn't be wearing it anymore.

I went to a secluded area of the house and changed into the armor. Once I finished, I called Mithren over to me and we headed out of the house.

"Where have you been?" Thorin asked. I jumped onto one of the ponies and smirked.

"I was just getting changed. Cool it, I wasn't going to leave you." I then remembered Fili still had Baratinu. "Fili! You still have my sword?" I asked.

He nodded, and threw it over to me with a wink. "Thanks!" I said, holding Baratinu tightly in my hands.

Balin looked at my sword as his eyes grew wide. "Could I see that?" He murmured.

"Of course." I replied, handing it over to him. Balin closely examined Baratinu, and his face became ashen white. "Balin, what's wrong?"

He thrusted the sword back at me and glared. "Keep this safe, do you understand?" He hissed. My mouth fell open, and I placed it by my side.

"I understand. But... is it of dwarvish or elvish make?"

"Kyja, it is of a make I have never seen before."

As my mind digested the given information, I heard Beorn's voice over the sound of the ponies.

"Go now, while you have the light. The hunters are not far behind." He announced. I smiled at my father one last time before riding off towards Mirkwood.

After a while we slowed to a stop in front of a looming, gloomy forest. I dismounted off of my pony and approached an ancient archway.

"The Elven Gate." Gandalf murmured. I placed my hand onto a tree, and cringed as a sound unlike any other entered my ears.

"Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh burzum ishi krimpatul." It hissed. Suddenly a glimpse of a shadowy figure flashed in my mind, and I gasped.

"Kyja?"

"Kyja, what's wrong?"

"Hey, turn around!"

"Kyja!"

I jumped and faced the dwarves who were all staring at me with a concerned look on their faces. "I- I am fine, I promise you." I stammered.

Squinting my eyes, I caught sight of my father in his other form watching us from a distant ridge. "Set the ponies loose. Let them return to their master." I demanded.

At once the dwarves began to dismount their ponies and grab whatever necessities they packed. I took a few steps away from them and exhaled sharply.

What on earth was that? It was some form of evil that I have never seen before.

"See that? The halfling, yes. He has an item of great fortune and power. With it you could do many things. Nobody would ever hurt you again."

I shook my head stubbornly and ran over to Bilbo. "You found something in Goblin Town, I know." I whispered. He stared at me, bewildered, and fumbled around in his pocket.

"You must know that it is a item of great power- but it also contains great evil. Do not let anyone else have it for now. If I ever try to take it, do not hesitate to kill me. Understood?"

He nodded solemnly and I patted him on the shoulder. "This forest feels...sick, as if a disease lies upon it. Is there no way around?" Bilbo asked Gandalf.

"Not unless we go two hundred miles north, or twice that distance south." The wizard replied. He then walked further into the shadows and examined a statue.

I unsheathed Baratinu and marveled over it's craftsmanship. Why did Balin react so strangely when he saw this? And if it wasn't made by the dwarves, then who created such a weapon?

Hey! Hey Kyja!

I looked around desperately for the voice. I knew it wasn't anything evil, but still! Who, or what, was this?

Kyja, on your shoulder. I'm right here! It's me, Mithren! My mouth dropped as the bird hopped up and down excitedly.

"You... can... talk?" I exclaimed. The dwarves all glanced at me and Bofur laughed to himself.

"Talking to animals, are we?" He snickered. I picked up a rock and chucked it at his head.

"Yeah, what about it?" I snapped. "She's certainly better company than you!"

Mithren chirped and pecked my ear repeatedly. Yes half-wit, I can talk. But only through our minds. Not physically. Believe me, if I could things would be a whole lot different around here.

As Nori began to unpack the last horse, Gandalf strode forward and gestured for him to stop. "Not my horse! I need it."

The company looked up and murmured in surprise. "You're not leaving us?" Bilbo asked.

"I would not do this unless I had to." Gandalf replied. He glanced at Thorin before directing his gaze towards Bilbo.

"You've changed, Bilbo Baggins. You're not the same Hobbit as the one who left the Shire." Bilbo blushed and then opened his mouth to speak.

"I was going to tell you; I... found something in the Goblin tunnels."

Gandalf leaned forward suspiciously and raised his eyebrows. "Found what? What did you find?" Bilbo shifted his feet uncomfortably and I caught the outline of a circular object in his pocket.

"My courage." I snickered quietly. Oh Bilbo.

"Good. Well, that's good. You'll need it." Gandalf replied. Glaring at Thorin, he headed over to his horse.

"I'll be waiting for you at the overlook, before the slopes of Erebor. Keep the map and key safe. Do not enter that mountain without me."

He then stared coldly at me, then at Bilbo. "This is not the Greenwood of old. The very air of the forest is heavy with illusion. It will seek to enter your mind and lead you astray." He said.

"Lead us astray? What does that mean?" Bilbo asked me. I shrugged, even though I knew the answer.

"You must stay on the path; do not leave it. If you do, you will never find it again."

Suddenly it began to rain, and Gandalf wheeled his horse and rode away. "No matter what may come, stay on the path!" He cried.

My mind then registered that I was stuck with thirteen dwarves, a hobbit, and a talking bird.

Why did I ever decide to join this quest?

==========================================================

Yay! Another update!

So yeah, Mithren can talk. That should've given you all the hint that she isn't a normal animal.

Next- what do you think is up with Kyja's sword? Who do you think made it?

Lastly, our beloved skin-changer is going to be struggling with the Necromancer in the next few chapters. Will she be able to resist his offer? And what will happen when she meets the elves?

Picture to the right is of the armor Kyja found. Is that awesome or what?

Oh- could you all do me a favor and check out my new story titled "Words of a Woman?" I want to see what people think.

Thanks for reading!