A New Light

At last, the whippings were done. My back stung fiercely and I could feel the blood running down my body. One of the elves pointed to my armor and demanded something in Sindarin.

I hobbled over to the pile of my belongings and began slipping on my undershirt. Did I really deserve this? What have I done that sentenced me to this kind of life?

You brought it upon yourself, once again. Your temper has gone over the top.

The black and gold armored shirt was too heavy for me, so I was forced to leave that behind. Zylondír escorted me back to where the dwarves were located.

To my surprise he didn't give me a cell to myself. As he unlocked the door, I saw Fili sitting in the corner. "Kyja, take this." Zylondír whispered, handing me my sword. "I snuck it out of there when nobody else was looking."

I nodded solemnly, stepping into the compact space. Fili looked up and his eyes widened. "Where did they take you?" He asked.

"You would not believe me if I told you."

"Kyja, please. Tell me."

I sighed and leaned against the wall, my shoulders twitching. "They took me to a torture chamber and whipped me because I spoke against their precious King."

Fili's mouth fell open as he reached out to comfort me. "Could I see them?" He murmured.

"See what?"

"The scars."

But why? I rolled up my shirt, revealing the horrid marks.

His hands softly traced my back, and I whimpered. Kyja, grow up. You're acting pathetic. "I'm sorry." Fili confessed. "I would have rather died than seen you hurt."

"Fili, do not say such a thing." Surely he did not mean it.

"I mean it. I... I care for you."

A big, fat tear rolled down my face as the heat made its way into my cheeks. Did he just say what I thought he said? "Please tell me if you are joking, for my heart cannot handle any more." I choked.

"The words now leaving my mouth are true, I assure you." He insisted. My eyes closed as he gently grasped my hand. I pulled my shirt back down and shivered.

"But I- I am spoiled for you!" I cried. And just where had this sudden burst of emotion come from? "I have been through so much pain, and- and betrayal! How could you ever care for someone that has been broken all their lives? You deserve someone better than me."

"Why would you ever say that?"

"Because it is true! These scars are all reminders of my life, of my mistakes. They make me ugly, on both the inside and out. You are unaware of how utterly pathetic I am." I whirled my head around as a loud clang reverberated around the room. I then heard the sound of Tauriel's voice as she spoke to a certain dwarf.

"Kyja, look at me." Fili growled. I turned to face him, and with no warning, he placed his right hand upon my cheek. "You have never been more precious to me. I am so proud of you for enduring this much. Please know that I will never stop caring for you."

My chin trembled as he kissed the top of my forehead. Silent, heavy sobs wracked my body as I nestled into his chest like a child would with its parent. The embrace was... unfamiliar to me. I had long forgotten the calming and soothing sensation... but if it was to be shared with him, it was something I could get used to. "I must appear weak to you."

He gazed down at me with a sympathetic expression. "You never appear weak to me. All I see is someone who needs to be loved."

A small smile tugged at the corners of my lips as sleep overtook my weary soul.

~ Dream ~

It was something I had never seen before. The tower was huge, and atop of it sat a large, fiery eye.

The ghastly thing swiveled back and forth, casting light on the land around it.

Its gaze finally met mine, and I could feel the blood in my veins boiling.

I was then shown an image of the ring that Bilbo had. "Take it." A voice hissed. "It can give you power. Nobody would ever betray you again."

I picked up the ring curiously and slipped it onto my finger.

All of a sudden the scenery around me drastically changed. I saw several rolling hills, charred black from fire.

I saw children having their throats slit by orcs.

I saw creatures unlike any other feasting on the flesh of dead humans.

I saw myself sitting on a dark gray throne, my eyes filled with pure malice and evil.

"See what you could be?" The voice cackled. "You would no longer be weak. You would be strong. Respected. Empowered."

~ End of Dream ~

I sat up quickly and caught my breath. Tiny beads of sweat speckled my forehead, and I glanced at Fili who was still asleep.

Sighing, I checked the back of my shirt for any wetness. Luckily the wounds had somewhat healed overnight- so there wasn't any fresh blood.

Fili opened his eyes with a start and immediately examined me. "How are you feeling?"

"Sore, is all."

He quirked an eyebrow as I straightened his fur vest. Things like that tended to bother me. "It was simply crooked. Pardon me for fixing it." I smirked. Fili stood up slowly and gently wrapped his arm around my waist to assist me. The action caused my cheeks to burn.

"It appeared as if you needed help. Pardon me for being a gentleman." He retorted. I rolled my eyes as the both of us peered out of the door.

"I'll wager the sun's on the rise. It must be nearly dawn." Bofur said.

"We're never going to reach the mountain, are we?" Oin blurted sadly.

Bilbo suddenly appeared out of nowhere holding a ring of keys. I raised my eyebrows in shock. "Not stuck in here, you're not!"

I chuckled to myself as the realization settled in that we could actually escape this place.

Oh Bilbo. You never cease to amaze me.
==========================================================

I hope this made up for the incredibly depressing last chapter.

If it didn't- well, I'm sorry.

Okay, okay. Let's just all get this over with now. On the count of three. One, two, three:
AWWWWWW FILI AND KYJA ARE SO CUTE OMG ASDFGHJKL.

Now we're done. Express your joy in the comment section ;) I figured that would make up for the whipping she's gone through.

What do you think of the dream she had? We know who was talking to her....

Second, why did the sword burn Zylondír's hands? I forgot to ask this 2 chapters ago. I apologize.

Picture to the right is of our beloved Fili Durin.

Hope you liked it!