Small Investigation

~ Bilbo's POV ~

"Our business is no concern of elves." Thorin growled. I stood next to Balin and watched the stubborn dwarf tighten his grip on the map.

"For goodness sake Thorin, show him the map." Gandalf argued.

"It is the legacy of my people; it is mine to protect, as are its secrets."

"Save me from the stubbornness of dwarves. Your pride will be your downfall. You stand here in the presence of one of the few in Middle-earth who can read that map. Show it to Lord Elrond."

Balin cried out in protest as Thorin handed Elrond the map. I shuffled my feet as the elf examined it closely.

"Erebor. What is your interest in this map?" He asked. As Thorin began to answer, Gandalf cleared his throat and interrupted him.

"It's mainly academic. As you know, this sort of artifact sometimes contains hidden text. You still read Ancient Dwarvish, do you not?"

Elrond took a few steps, still looking over the artifact. Suddenly his expression changed as moonlight hit the map. "Cirth Ithil." he murmured.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. Interesting... must be in elvish, although it sounds familiar.

"Moon runes. Of course. An easy thing to miss." Gandalf stated.

"Well in this case, that is true; moon runes can only be read by the light of a moon of the same shape and season as the day on which they were written." Elrond added.

Thorin stepped away from Balin and I, looking at Elrond. "Can you read them?" He asked.

Elrond then led us to an open area outside on the edge of a cliff. We were surrounded by several waterfalls as the map was laid on a large crystalline table. "These runes were written on a Midsummer's Eve by the light of a crescent moon nearly two hundred years ago. It would seem you were meant to come to Rivendell. Fate is with you, Thorin Oakenshield; the same moon shines upon us tonight."

As he spoke, the clouds in the sky parted, revealing the moon. Rays of the light hit the map, and then several blue letters appeared on it. Elrond began to translate them.

"Stand by the gray stone when the thrush knocks, and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the keyhole."

"Durin's Day?" I asked. These dwarves and their names, good gracious.

"It is the start of the dwarves' new year, when the last moon of autumn and the first sun of winter appear in the sky together." Gandalf answered.

Thorin stroked his beard thoughtfully. "This is ill news. Summer is passing. Durin's Day will soon be upon us."

"We still have time." Balin insisted.

"Time? Time for what?" I blurted.

"To find the entrance. We have to be standing at exactly the right spot at exactly the right time. Then, and only then, can the door be opened." He replied.

"So this is your purpose, to enter the mountain." Elrond murmured. Well. So much for the elf not knowing our plan.

"What of it?" Thorin growled.

"There are some who would not deem it wise."

Thorin snatched the map back gruffly, glaring at Elrond.

~ Kyja's POV ~

So, I had decided not to leave the company just yet. However I would not give them-- especially Thorin --the satisfaction of seeing me return.

Sure, it wasn't really their fault in the first place, but a little guilt never hurt anyone. I crouched down behind one of the pillars and slipped off my weaponry.

I poked my head out ever so slightly from my hiding place and observed the dwarves. They had made a fire by burning some of the elvish furniture. I shook my head, cracking a smile. Typical dwarf behavior.

Bombur sat on a bench that creaked loudly every time he moved. Bofur smirked as he held a sausage in his hand. My, what plan did he have up his sleeve?

"Bombur!" He exclaimed. As the rotund dwarf looked up from his plate, Bofur threw the sausage towards him. When he caught it, the weight appeared to be too much for the old bench.

I stifled a laugh as Bombur fell to the ground, causing his companions to erupt in laughter. Oh, how I wish I could join them.

"Everyone, may- may I have your attention?" Bilbo stammered. What is he- ah, yes. I remember now.

"What is it Master Baggins?" Dwalin bellowed.

"Kyja told me to tell you all that she will no longer be part of the company." Several murmurs and hushed whispers raced around the group.

"Did she tell you anything else?" Nori asked.

"Only that she didn't want to be a burden on the quest, that's all." Bilbo replied.

"I fear that's not the only reason she left." Thorin muttered, entering the scene. I narrowed my eyes at him, my hands trembling.

"And what would be the other reason?" Oin inquired.

As Thorin explained what happened, Bombur caught sight of me behind the pillar. I put my fingers to my lips then gestured to the other dwarves. Shaking my head, I mouthed the word "please."

He gave me a short nod before returning his gaze to Thorin. I made a mental note to thank him for that later.

"So you actually hit her?" Ori chirped.

"Yes Ori, I did."

"You shouldn't have done it. I would've been angry as well, but to hit a woman? A skin changer nonetheless.... She could've killed you." Dwalin commented.

At the time, I did consider killing Thorin- but I knew he meant a great deal to his friends, and I couldn't stand to see any of them upset due to their leader's death.

"I hope she's doing well." Fíli said. "Should we go and look for her?"

"She'll be fine." Kili insisted. "Besides, you're only using it as an excuse because you like the girl!"

The other dwarves burst out into laughter as Fili blushed. I could even feel some heat rising up into my own cheeks. Is the dwarf really sweet on me?

I mean, I never considered myself one to be "attracting the men", or dwarves in this case. Looking at Fíli, there was no denying he was a handsome character.

His blue eyes seemed to glow in the dim light, and- Kyja, stop. My goodness, what is wrong with you? I lightly flicked myself in the forehead and sighed.

There was no way I was going to allow my heart to be captured by a dwarf. I wouldn't allow it. Romance never has, and never will play a part in my life.

Grabbing my pack, I took one last look at the group of dwarves before sneaking away into the night. I admit, I had grown attached to them over the past few days.

They stuck together like a family, and all had the same goal- To reclaim their home. No wonder I felt a little out of place whenever I was around them.

I had never lost a home. Then again, I had never had a home for too long either- except for the years with Radagast, but that's different.

If only I knew our parting would not last too long.

==========================================================

So, what did you all think? When will Kyja show her face to the group? Does she feel the same way as Fíli? Feel free to comment predictions below.

I've gotten a few questions regarding Kyja's age, and I held back from answering for a little while- until now! This is how old she would be as a human. I'm still figuring out what that would be as a skin changer: Kyja was fifteen when she was raped, and twenty when Mira died. Now she is twenty-two. Still a little girl in the dwarves' eyes, eh?

Picture to the right is of Bombur causing the bench to collapse :)