1

AKIRA

"Hey! YOU GOTTA PAY!" The man yelled attempting to chase after us, but got stopped by some older locals. "COME ON KIRA!" Braelyn yelled way ahead. If I didn't have asthma I'm sure I would be able to run with no problem. "You better not bring your thieving asses back here!" He shouted as I ran for my life as the cold September wind blew through me. I held onto my candy like it was a prize. Braelyn convinced me into taking it, when she causally took a bag of chips and milky-ways, stuffing them in her jacket. I thought I was gonna be a pro like her, but I got nervous and dropped it when an older man walked in our aisle. All I heard was "Run!" And boy did I run for my life.

"What .. if .. we get.. caught?!" I said breathless as we made it to the house. "I do this all the time." She said nonchalantly as she opened the door. I've been here for a year now and from what I've seen Braelyn gets whatever she wants, so why would she steal? A question I would never get the answer to. "Hey mom!" She yelled running upstairs and I ran behind her. To be 18 I would say I was more mature than she was in some ways. I always told her that she resembled a brown skin Zendaya just thicker, she also had a mix of Keri Hilson in her features as well. She always said she don't see it, but everyone else does.

"After you put that up come into my room so I can start on your hair." She added before shutting her door half way and I strolled to my room opening the door. "Never again." I murmured as I plopped down on my bed taking a few deep breaths. "AKIRA!" Ms. Sasha called and I closed my eyes. "I'm coming!" I yelled tossing my skittles under my pillow then ran out heading downstairs. "Yes?" I answered standing in the hall. "Here's the hair for your sew in." She added and I went to grab it then smiled.

"Thank you." I acknowledge before turning to walk back upstairs. "Kira!" She called and I said a silent prayer before facing her again. "Yeah?" I answered and she walked over to me. "You know you can call me mom.. I mean if you want." She suggested a little hesitant and I gave her a polite smile. "I know.." I said the jogged upstairs before she could say anything. "I'm gonna wash up, then come in." I told Brae before heading back to my room.
*
*
"Are you nervous?" She questioned as she did my hair. "Not really, I'm just ready to graduate." I said honestly as I played temple run on my phone. "You got two more years right?" She asked and I nodded. "But the guidance counselor told me, I could graduate a year early if I meet all my credit this year." I informed her and she pushed my head down some starting on the next row. "That's if I even stay here long though.." I mumbled as I continued playing the game. After having me a year, my foster parents would find any reason to send me away and I'd end going through the whole process again.

That's why I chose not to call Ms. Sasha 'mom', also because she wasn't my mom. "Don't say that, I actually like having you here I finally get a little sister and my mom been trying to have another baby for 3 years with no luck. When she heard about you she jumped for the opportunity." She explained and I smiled a little. "Time will tell." I simply said as her destiny child's cd played in the background. "We have lunch together right?" She questioned snapping me from out my daze.

"Yeah and oceanography." I responded closing my eyes. "Lift up." She commanded and I got up as she placed a pillow down for me to sit on. "Thank you." I told her relaxing. "I always got you." She assured and I smiled. "Gonna be a long day tomorrow." I complain pulling my knees into my chest and she laughed. "It'll fly by, I promise." She said and I let out a breath not responding..
*
*
Next morning
"Good morning dear." Ms. Sasha said cheerfully as I took a seat at the table by Braelyn. "Good morning." I replied applying jelly to my biscuit. "Your hair looks nice." She complimented and I thanked her before taking a bite. "Get any sleep?" Braelyn asked and I shook my head. "Why not?" Her mom questioned and I shrugged. "Nervous I guess." I answered then sliced my pancakes in halves.

"You'll be fine." She ensured me and I just nodded. I wasn't trying to be rude, I honestly was just tired and cramping bad. "Riding with me today or gonna catch the bus?" Brae asked as she drunk some of her OJ. "I think I'll ride with you this year." I answered and she smiled. "Here's twenty for each of you, this should be enough for this weeks lunch right?" Her mom asked as we put the money in our purse. "Yeah, thank you." I said, then chugged down my juice grabbing my dishes following Braelyn to the sink. "Thanks mom!" She said chimed kissing her on her cheek then grabbed her car keys.

"Y'all are very much welcomed." She said as she hugged me. "I grabbed my binder and stuck two pens inside then waved bye as we left out the house. "Wanna get some Mc. Donald's after school?" She asked as she backed out the driveway. "I'm okay with that." I replied then scrolled through my Twitter feed. "Hopefully today goes by fast." I thought to myself as I went to my music app.
*
*
*
First chapter for you guys, It's short for a reason. I've been reading some tips and a lot of writers say it's best to make the first chapter short and make the rest of them longer. 🤷🏽‍♀️ This book is a little different, but I'm sure you guys will like it. I'm working on pt. 2 to All in A Night's Work also, so be on the lookout 😉.

Thanks for reading,
Love Jas🥂