Gone

Gordon kept his eyes forward as he slowly drove his beaten but loyal black Dodge car back to the GCPD. It was late, well past midnight. It was especially dark tonight. The moon was nowhere to be found, and the city's cheap streetlights provided no help.

The streets themselves were unusually empty. Normally Gotham's nights meant the streets were littered with prostitutes on street corners, deals would happen in the alleyways between a drug seller and a provider, unruly kids would be running around with spray cans.

But not tonight.

Perhaps even all those people found themselves terrified by what they saw on their TV's tonight. Perhaps even those who were well worn and battle hardened veterans of Gotham, found themselves unnerved by the ginger maniac.

Even though he was gone now, perhaps people just felt it was better to stay inside tonight Gordon thought. He gently pushed the brake of his car as he approached a stoplight.

The car came to a gentle standstill as it stopped behind the white line. Gordon took the moment to glance over his shoulder. Lee was sitting in the back with another one of Jerome's victims. She had a blanket over the girl, her head resting in her lap as she stroked her hair.

Lee could feel her lover's eyes on her, but she didn't look up when she asked, "Is it really possible? Is what we feared a reality Jim?"

Gordon turned his face back to the road as the light turned green. He slowly pushed on the accelerator when he says, "You said it yourself Lee. You said you saw something pass between them when he targeted her in the audience. I saw the way she reacted when it happened. What further proof do we need?"

The words stung but Lee knew it was true. She had seen the way the girl had glowed and blossomed in his embrace. Then when she had been tied to the knife-throwing wheel, she had seen the girl's true colors come out.

But then were those her true colors? Or were those the colors painted on her by the maniac? What had he done to her to change her so? There was the part of her that hoped that deep down inside was the other girl, the girl that was there before she knew him.

Even though Lee hadn't met her until that day she was taken to the hospital, she felt that even then the girl had begun to change. Somewhere deep down inside she hoped that the girl who first came to Gotham was still there...waiting to be rescued.

Gordon soon found himself behind the van that was carrying the body back to the GCPD's morgue. He then found himself running through the names of everyone who had been affected by that lunatic.

Lila Valeska.

Marco and the crew from the Yellen Shipyard.

The cops that lost their lives during the shooting at the GCPD.

Sarah Essen.

Paul Cicero.

Harrison Cane.

Some of the innocent bystanders who were killed during the Gala.

And those were the ones they only knew about.

Gordon knew that Anthony would soon be added to that list. He hadn't heard from him and he knew that it wasn't in Anthony's nature to just disappear like that. Gordon knew how he felt about the girl. It was probably those feelings that ended up costing him his life.

"Jim are you sure about this? Do we really need to do this?"

Lee's voice broke his thoughts as he parked the car in the back of the GCPD next to the van. He turned off the ignition saying, "We have to put all of this to an end. So yes, that means we have to question her. You do what you need to do, and the moment she is ready to answer questions you bring her to me-"