Gordon and Thompkins

~ Meanwhile (as in this happening at the same time as the previous chapter) ~

I slowly woke up to the sound of voices. A man and a woman to be exact.

"Whose bright idea was it to let girls like her work in Arkham? She's way too young!" I heard the man say. As I open my eyes and look around, I can see that I'm in the hospital.

"Jim calm down. I'm pretty sure they had a reason for hiring her..." I hear the woman say. I look over to see a man and a woman standing near the door of my room. I wonder who they are are and what they are doing here. I see the woman is about to say something else when she looks over and sees that I'm awake.

"Jim..." she says as she puts a hand on his arm, making him turn his attention to me.

"What happened?" I ask as I try to sit up, only to be greeted by a throbbing headache. I grimace and place my hand on my head. The man, who I guess is named Jim, comes over and stands at the side of my bed.

"My name is Detective James Gordon. I'm with the GCPD. This is our medical examiner Doctor Leslie Thompkins" he says as he gestures over to the woman to come and stand next to him. She walks over and gives me a warm smile, immediately taking my hand in hers.

"I'm glad to see that you are finally awake. You had some people very worried about you" she says warmly. I raise my eyebrows at that as I think of who could possibly be worried over me. I wasn't exactly the nicest person at Arkham.

"Uh...thanks I guess. But what happened?" I ask again.

I see both James and Leslie look at each other before James finally answers me, "There was a breakout at Arkham Asylum. You are one of the very few people who managed to not be killed."

I nod slowly as everything starts coming back to me. The gas. The gunshots. Everybody collapsing.

Jerome...oh god what's happened to him? I look up at Gordon, but I realize I can't ask for his help. If anything, he will be looking for Jerome in order to find him and lock him back up in Arkham. I realize that Jerome is probably the reason why he is here. He wants to see if I know anything about where he might have been taken to. I've got to play this real carefully.

"It also appears that some of the patients were taken. I've been doing some asking around and apparently you were one of the few Arkham employees who was able to be around one of the patients who went missing."

I'm careful to not let my face show any surprise at his words. So he knows. I figure Anthony must have said something. It was true after all. I was the only person that Jerome actually opened up to. He was only himself when he was around me.

"Who?" I ask Gordon, playing dumb.

Gordon narrows his eyes at me when he says, "Jerome Valeska".

I shrug my shoulders as I sit up in my bed.

"Okay and? It was simply a professional relationship. I only met with him for therapy sessions, and all he talked about was what he told you guys when you interrogated him. If you want to know what happened in those sessions, it's all recorded in the files back at Arkham. He never said anything to me about breaking out of Arkham, and if he did have plans he wouldn't tell me of course. He's not stupid."

I sit back against my pillow and fold my arms across my chest. I see Gordon raise his eyebrows in surprise at my demeanor. Then he changes. I see his face soften a bit from his stony expression he had only moments ago.

Lesile had let go of my hand, and I'm surprised as Gordon takes mine as he sits on the edge of my bed.

"Sorry if I came off a bit rough. Guess it comes after dealing with so many people here in Gotham. You forget how to treat those who are not like the scum of this city."