The Destroying Promise

My father's Gotham manor turned out to be outside of Gotham. In fact, his property was next to that of Bruce Wayne, the boy billionaire who had tragically been orphaned due to some thoughtless and violent act. It was as far away from the city as possible, and it turns out that I lived on the other side of the city in relation to my father's residence.

The city was exactly the same way I left it. A busy city that was bleak and down in spirits. As I look out the window, I can see the scum and evildoers lurking in the shadows in the alleys between the buildings. The cops from the GCPD stand around, turning a blind eye to the wrongdoings, no doubt doing so since they have their hands in the pockets of the crime bosses here.

I turn my head away from the view, and bring my legs up in the backseat of my father's SUV. Michael is taking me home, and we haven't said a word to each other. I'm glad for it since it gives me time to figure out how I'm going to handle this situation with Jerome. My heart is begging me to not give in, but I know better now. I'm facing my new reality now and there is nothing I can do but accept it.

The life that I've been living is over; the fairy tale has come to an end. The more I let my mind linger on that fact, the more my soul continues to die. What I'm about to do, it will kill a part of my soul.

Michael is now turning into my apartment complex, and for just a moment I hope that Jerome isn't here. I need more time to figure this out. My hopes are soon dashed though for sure enough the black truck is parked outside my apartment building. Michael stops the SUV in front of my building, looking at me in the rearview mirror. I meet his eyes and I don't say a word as I open the door next to me.

I climb out of the SUV, slamming the door shut behind me. With heavy feet and a heavy heart to match it, I begin the walk towards my apartment. The memory floods back to me of the time Jerome took me out for our first date as well as the forged memory of him carrying me down the stairs when he snuck me out that late night in order to come on my trip with me.

No stop it Rhiannon! Stop this! You have to do this...for her sake you have to do this.

I've climbed the stairs up to my apartment and it's with a reluctant hand that I push the door open. I don't even bother to take the key I have hidden underneath the doormat. I know that Jerome is here and he will have the door unlocked, waiting for me.

I turn the knob and open the door, walking into what used to be my sanctuary, the one place I could go to get away from the world. Now it will be filled with harsh reminders of what used to be.

It's when I'm closing the door behind me do I hear the running feet coming towards me. My feet are off the ground the moment Jerome has his strong arms around me, whisking me around.

"Rhi baby! Oh thank goodness you're safe!" Jerome says with his mouth to my neck, his warm breath hitting my cold skin. When he places me down to look at me, I can see that his eyes are glassy. Just only hours ago, I was yelling at Jerome for not looking me in the eye. Not it is my turn to turn my face away from his or it will be my resolve that will weaken.

I place my hands on Jerome's arms, unwinding them from my hips. I walk away from him, feeling his hazel gaze burning into my back. I've been holding my mother's ring in my hand, hoping that somehow it will give me strength for what I must do.

"So what are you're plans now Jerome?" I ask. I turn to look at him from across the room. He can see the change in my demeanor, but he shrugs it off as he walks over to me.

Running his fingers through his flaming red hair he says, "Well I'll have to head back and do whatever it is my friend wants me to do. There is a reason he broke us out, and I'm pretty sure now he is ready to share that reason with us."