A Chance

It wasn't long before Anthony came out of the asylum with his coat in hand. I have to admit he is handsome. I can't help but feel a little flattered that he has taken an interest in me. It has been a while since I've had a guy around me. I had one or two boyfriends in high school, but they were high school romances. Nothing more than just cute notes and sneaking kisses in between classes. After the second one, I was ready for something more, which I knew I wasn't going to get in high school. Perhaps I could find some love in Gotham, out of all places?

"Hey sorry I kept you out here. I just had to make sure that I had everything put away. Never know when one of the inmates will try to initiate a plan and try to break out!" he says as he puts on his coat. I can't help but giggle at the thought, and when I look up at him, he is staring at me wide eyed. Still giggling I say, "What? Why are you looking at me like that?"

He shakes his head and with a laugh he says, "I don't think I've EVER heard you giggle or EVER seen you smile. You have...a really pretty smile." Thank goodness its getting dark, because I can feel my cheeks growing red. "Thanks. So where do you want to grab a bite?" I can see his wheels turning in his head as he begins walking to the employee parking lot, me following. "I know this really good burger joint, and they have live music...if that's something you think you will like." 

"Live music?!", I say with excitement. Again, I'm greeted with a surprised look as he says, "Yeah, often times people will go up there and perform a song or two. It's real lively, and a great place to just sit back and relax". 

I know I may not seem like the type of girl to be much into anything. But my mom encouraged me to get out there and have fun. To get out there and explore and find ways to express myself. That's one of the reasons why I got into criminal psychology, but I found that I enjoyed other things as well. And one of those things was singing. I personally think I'm not that good, but a lot of people tend to disagree with me. I was often asked in school to sing at events or when someone needed help serenading their crush. With the singing also came me leaning how to play guitar. My mother used to like really old bands, well bands that she grew up with, such as Fleetwood Mac, Journey, people like that. I usually play or sing songs from bands like that along with some modern stuff. I haven't sung or played guitar in a while, but now I felt an itch to get back into it. 

Now I feel an itch to get back to experiencing life. 

There's no point in me walking around like I'm dead. I miss my mother of course, but I'm still here. She wouldn't want me to be sulky and withdrawn. She would want me to get out there and enjoy my life. After she died, I felt I couldn't do anything, simply because I couldn't disrespect her memory. But I think time has healed the wound, and now I can live with the scar. And I think I'm going to start tonight, and maybe I can start by going out with a really cute guy. 

I look at Anthony and with a smile I say, "I really like to sing. I don't consider myself to be good but I enjoy it!" I grab his hand and I say "Let's go!" We hop into his car, and the whole drive there we spend it talking which really felt good. I forgot the thrill that came being with somebody you couldn't help but feel mildly attracted to. 

Or did you forget the thrill Rhiannon? What was the thrill that came when talking to Jerome? 

I push the thought from my head. The last thing I need is me falling in love with a psychopath...a bad man...

"Please...find...a good man...don't fall in love with a bad man...please..." 

Again I push the thought from my head. Why would I fall in love with a bad man? I'm not like those people back in Arkham. I could never fall in love with a killer. 

Or can you Rhiannon? Why do you keep thinking about Jerome and those blue eyes of his? And that insane smile that sends chills down your skin?

AGAIN, I shake the thought from my head. Jerome was just playing mind games with me and I'm letting him win. What I should be focusing on is the fact that I got asked to dinner by one, if not the cutest, employees at Arkham Asylum. I feel relief wash over me as we pull up to the burger joint. Even from the inside of the car I can hear the music and I feel that excitement that I'm very familiar with. It's the excitement that comes with the possibility of being able to sing. Anthony parks the car and gets out, coming over to my side and opening the door for me. I get out of the car, and...I feel alive. 

"Anthony...um...I just wanted to say thank you. I know that I've kind of been rude these past few weeks. I've been through a lot these past few months, so I wasn't feeling much up to being around people, hence why I always said no to your invites. But I feel like I'm ready to move on. Ready to move and get back to enjoying life. And... I plan on starting tonight. Perhaps I'll get up there and sing a song or two! So again...thank you...for helping me get out of the hole that I kind of dug myself into" I say. I look at him hoping that I just didn't turn him away by my rambling. 

Instead I'm greeted with that sweet smile, and he nods. "I figured something had happened, and that you needed time to get yourself back up. I have to admit though Rhiannon, I was persistent in asking you to dinner...because I...I want to get to know you better. These past few weeks, I...I found myself very much attracted to you. The way you interact with everyone at the asylum, your work ethic, your obvious passion to the field...it's amazing. I just wanted to get to know the girl who was behind all that..." 

Again, I feel my cheeks turning red, and I look down at my shoes. And very much to my surprise I feel him grab my hand and hold it in his. 

"I know that it's a lot to take in Rhiannon. And I know you don't know me well enough to perhaps feel the way I'm starting to feel towards you. That's why I want to get to know you better, and give you the chance to know me better...as friends. Just give me that chance at least. The chance to be your friend. And if fate wills it...then perhaps something more..." he says as he places a gentle finger under my chin, making me look him in the eye. 

And without really thinking I give him a yes. What harm could there be in giving him that chance? A chance to at least be friends? After all, it wouldn't hurt having someone like him around that I could go to when I needed to, especially considering the environment we work in.

We go into the joint together, and I have a wonderful time...something that I haven't experienced in forever. But despite the fun...there was that voice in my head that kept tormenting me throughout the night...

But don't you already have a "friend" in Arkham Rhiannon? Didn't Jerome tell you he would be your friend? Why would you want anyone else? Doesn't the idea of having someone like Jerome as a friend not excite you? Don't you remember how you felt when he placed his hand on your thigh? Really Rhiannon? Do you really need another friend? Do you really want another friend? 

Don't you really just want Jerome?

~ I don't know how to feel about this part but here you go...next update will be later this week once I'm off for Thanksgiving! Thanks everyone for the votes and comments! They really motivate me to keep writing! ~