The Letter

~ 14 years ago ~

The young mother watched through the two-way mirror of the room where her little girl was sitting with the psychologist. It seemed that she was more nervous than her daughter, who in actuality, was not nervous whatsoever.

The mother chewed her nails, an old bad habit from her youth creeping its way back into her life. She glanced down at the paper that she was holding in a shaking hand. The psychologist had been gracious enough to give her a sheet with some of the questions he would ask in order to converse with little Rhiannon.

She looked up, and even though she couldn't hear what they were talking about, it was comforting to be able to see her. She had been very nervous about bringing her daughter to a shrink, but she had to do it. She needed to know. She just needed to know if there were signs that she would be like her...or her father.

Rhiannon was sitting comfortably on the sofa facing Dr. Roberts. The mother knew her daughter well enough to see that she was talking fast and happily. She was such a happy child, but sometimes she did things that reminded her mainly of her father.

Her father. The young woman closed her eyes where she could see Rhiannon's father in front of her. Even though they were miles apart, she felt his presence. His dominant and controlling presence would never leave her. If anything, she knew he would find them. He would. He always got what he wanted.

She just didn't know what he would do if he did find them, and it was scary. She knew what he was capable of. She had seen his rage, jealously, and ambition lead to deadly consequences...and she was scared that she and little Rhiannon would fall victim to that.

She rubbed the ridge that had formed itself on her ring finger...where her special ring had been. She was now thinking that perhaps she should have kept it instead of leaving it back at their home. She wondered if she would have to use what Rhiannon's father would call her special talent in the near future.

No...she couldn't. She couldn't go back to her old ways. This was the whole reason why she left. She had to leave that life behind. She had to protect Rhiannon. It already didn't help that she had genetics going against her.

Was it true what they said? That a child would grow up to be insane like their parents if they too were per say insane? The young mother knew she herself wasn't normal. Meeting Rhiannon's father had shown her that.

When she looked up, she felt hot tears well up in her eyes as she watched her little girl. Why would God give her such an innocent and beautiful daughter? How did she and her lover make such a gentle creature when their very love was based upon love, lust, passion, murder, greed, deceit and all things that are evil?

She loved her daughter...she loved her more than she loved herself and her lover. She would do anything for her. So if that meant sacrificing a life next to her lover and the life that he could give them for a much harder and lonely one than she would do it.

With a defiant hand she wiped her tears away as she saw the doctor and her little girl rise from their places. Rhiannon was still chatting away, and the doctor was smiling down at her. Rhiannon had a way of winning people's hearts.

She couldn't help but feel a little pride at seeing her little girl being comfortable in her own little self. That was one thing she got from her father. She spent time with him, and she had absorbed all his confidence and glamor. She walked with her little head held high like him and it was the most adorable thing.

The mother turned away from the mirror and acted like she had being reading a magazine the entire time as the door opened.

"MAMA!" Rhiannon cried out as she hopped over to her mom. The mother rose from her seat and got down on her knees so that her little girl could wrap her arms around her neck for a hug.