Ex-Boyfriend

Jerome held on to my hand as he drove the truck past the welcome sign and into Jersey Village. I could feel my nerves wanting to consume me, but Jerome's hand squeezed mine and when I look over at him, he's smiling at me. 

I don't pay any attention to where Jerome is going, all my attention is on the passing view I see outside my window. We pass the familiar little shops and I recognize some of the people walking down the sidewalk. Nothing has changed since I left, and that can be both a good thing and a bad thing. 

It's when I hear Jerome turn the truck off do I peel my eyes away from the window. Jerome has stopped in front of the town's local hotel.

"Jerome how did you..."

"I did my research boo. I figured you weren't going to want to stay in your former house even though its still vacant."

I'm about to respond when I hear my cell phone go off. I grab it and again, I don't pay any attention to the number. Bad choice.

"Hello?"

"Rhiannon?! Oh thank goodness. Where are you!?"

It's Jim Gordon. Oh gosh...

"Umm...I'm...what can I do for you Detective?"

Jerome is about to get out of the truck, but he freezes when he hears the words that leave my mouth. I nervously glance over at him, and I can see his eyes narrow in suspicion. 

"Rhiannon where are you? Are you okay?!"

"Of course why wouldn't I be?" I respond, looking at Jerome, hoping that he doesn't get the wrong idea about what's going on. My hopes soon vanish though as I see Jerome give me a look before getting out of the truck. He walks in front of the truck, and he opens my passenger door.

"Rhiannon somebody broke into your apartment, and when we arrived you were no where to be found. We could only assume the worst. But tell me, where are you?"

Jerome is glaring at me, and I realize that the longer I'm on the phone, the more intense his paranoia is going to get. I have to get off the phone and fast, but without giving off a red flag to Gordon.

"I'm actually on a little road trip with my boyfriend Jim. I left a few nights ago. The other college kids must have decided to raid my apartment, you know how they get. They get bored and do stupid shit. I'm fine I promise."

I grip the phone tightly as I hope that my words will be enough to calm Gordon's worries. All I can see is Jerome's paranoia and I can see the anger burning in his eyes. 

"Hmm..."

"I'm fine James. Really."

Please Gordon...just let me off the phone...

"Hmm okay Rhiannon. I'm glad you are safe. I was worried. Well you enjoy your vacation. We have your apartment under lock and key, so don't worry about it."

"Thank you Detective."

"No problem Rhiannon. Take care."

And with that, he hangs up and the line goes dead. I throw my phone back into my bag and I look at Jerome. 

"Jerome-" I start, but I'm cut off as Jerome grabs me by both of my arms and pulls me out of the truck. I give a little yelp of pain as he slams me against the solid metal. I can feel the hot metal of the truck through the thin cotton of my t-shirt, but it's nothing compared to the burning rage I see in Jerome's eyes.

He has both of my wrists in his hands, I can feel his tight grip as he leans his face towards mine. 

"What business does the Detective have with you?" Jerome hisses, his hot breath fanning my face.