Jerome Valeska

As soon as the door buzzed, I quickly walked out of the room. I walked down the hall, as far away as I could from the recreation room. I turned the corner at the end of the hall and stopped, leaning against the wall. Leaning my head back, I fight to regain control of myself. I drop my notepad on the floor, and look at my hands. They are shaking, and I put them together in hopes of making them stop. I can't believe I'm feeling like this.

I knew that it would be a little nerve racking going into that room, but I did not expect the feelings I was feeling right now. I didn't expect to have a conversation with someone like him...like Jerome. I know that talking to someone like him would of course scare me, and he did. But...he also made me feel something else. Something that I don't think is normal or rational. I felt a thrill. It felt exciting, knowing that I was talking to someone who would be considered dangerous.

I have to find out more about this boy. There must be something about him that is causing me to feel this way. Who is he? I quickly grab my notepad from the floor, and write down his uniform number, which I fortunately was able to put to memory. I make my way to the asylum's computer lab, where I can easily access the records of all the patients in Arkham, including his. Hopefully no one is in there. The last thing I need is people to be wondering why I'm looking up this particular patient's record. I mean I have all the permissions to do so, but what am I supposed to say when they ask me why?

"Oh we talked and he made me feel some kind of way so now I'm curious to know more about him."

No of course I can't say that!

I don't even know why I'm doing it, so how am I supposed to explain it to someone else? I know what I should do. What I should do is brush off the conversation and dismiss everything he said. I should reason with myself along the lines of:

"Oh Rhiannon you can't take what he said seriously. He shows all the behaviors of a maniacal psychopath. They are masters of manipulation. He is just trying to get into your head. Just move on."

But I can't. I can't reason with myself. Something is telling me to find out more about this boy...

I arrive at the computer lab and hurry up and go inside. I have the entire lab to myself, thank goodness. I can do my "research" in piece. If anyone comes in, I'll just say it's "research".

I type in his number into the patient database and after what felt like torturous minutes his information pops up along with a photo. I'm greeted with the same smile that he gave me the first time I saw him. That smile. For some reason, I couldn't help but smile back. It still was menacing to me, but it did have a certain charm. I find myself looking at his eyes. Just like when he was sitting next to me only moments ago, his eyes captivate me...again I'm under his spell.

Blue like the ocean on a dark night...what secrets...what emotions...what is behind those blue eyes of yours Jerome?

Why is someone like you in here Jerome?

I don't know how much time passed while I stared at his photo. But sitting there looking at him...felt nice. Something that I haven't felt since my mother died. I finally put my hand on the down key on the keyboard and scroll to his actual information.

Name: Jerome Valeska

Age: 18

Height: 6'0

Patient History and Notes: Patient refuses to discuss family history and personal life during all therapy sessions. Highly temperamental, violent, displays all signs and behaviors of a psychopath. Only thing that has been discussed in sessions is the killing of his mother, displays no signs of remorse over that course of action.

So that's why he is in here. He killed his mother, and from what it says, he killed her in cold blood. I can't help but wonder what drove him over the edge. What happened beforehand that eventually led him to kill the person who gave him life? I think of my own mother. I could never have lifted a finger against her. I loved her so much. What kind of person would you have to have for a mother that you have no problem with killing her?

I sit in front of the computer so deep in my thoughts that I don't hear the footsteps that are coming from behind.

"Rhiannon what are you doing?"

I give a little jump as I'm snapped out of my trance, and I turn and there is Anthony. "Oh hey. Didn't hear you come in. I'm just doing some research over one of the patients I noticed today during observations."

"Oh really? Who is the lucky patient that caught your attention?", he asks as he leans down to see the computer screen. As soon as he sees it, I see the smile die from his face, and his face loses the playfulness that was there only moments ago. He walks away from me and he runs his hand through his hair.

"What's wrong Anthony?" I ask. He looks at me and he shakes his head.

"What are you doing looking up information on Valeska?" he asks rudely.

I'm surprised by his tone of voice. He has always been fun and playful with me, which is nice considering the environment we worked in.

When I don't say anything, he lets out a sigh and pulls up a chair so that he is sitting next to me.

"Rhiannon...did he talk to you?", he asks.

"Yes and? What does it matter? I mean I went in there. It's not like they can't come up and talk to me." I reply defensively.

Much to my surprise he takes my hand and he looks at me imploringly.

"I know that Rhiannon. But shit...you weren't talking to just any inmate. Jerome Valeska is dangerous. I've sat in on some of his sessions, and I've conducted sessions with him myself. He's insane Rhi. He hurts people for fun. He will kill people for a good laugh. He will pretend to be your friend one moment and the next moment he will break your neck or shoot you. And he will watch you die with a smile on his face."

I look at Anthony and I can see that he is truly concerned about this whole thing. I place my hand over his, and I look at him.

"Don't worry Anthony. When I accepted this internship I knew that I would be getting involved with dangerous people. People like Jerome. Besides, its not like I'm interacting with him on the street where no one will stop him from hurting me. He is being watched by the guards. I'll be okay." I say, hoping that I sound convincing.

Anthony looks at me and his smile slowly comes back to his face.

"Just be careful" he says as he places his other hand on my shoulder.

I give him a nod and I smile back. He turns to the computer and he closes Jerome's file as he says, "I think we have had enough crazy for one day. Why don't we go grab dinner together? Perhaps talk about other things besides psychopaths and sociopaths?"

He is looking at me, hoping that I will say yes. I'm surprised he has any hope at all! I've said no so many times! But today has been crazy and confusing. I need to get my mind off things...off of Jerome and our little conversation. And it's been a while since I've been out since my mom died. I guess its time for me to move on.

After all, that's what she would want for me. I stand up and say cheerfully, "Let's go then! I'm starved." His eyes grow wide at my response and he quickly says, "Okay just give me a chance to close out everything. Meet you outside?"

I nod and he gives me a smile as he turns and walks out the lab. I go back to the employee locker room and gather my things and make my way out of the asylum. As I'm walking, I'm to busy thinking about where Anthony and I can go to eat that I don't realize that I'm passing the recreation room. I turn my head and sure enough...he is still there. He is talking to an older man that I recognized from the group that I had noticed earlier that day.

He must have felt my eyes on him for he looks up and our eyes meet. I do my best to ignore the quick beat of my heart and the chill that runs over my body as he gives me a flirtatious smile. I quickly look away and quickly walk away and I don't stop until I'm out of the asylum.

I'm greeted by the cold air and I turn my face up to the wind and close my eyes. I open my eyes and see that the sky is slowly growing dark. I do my best to try to find something to divert me as I wait for Anthony, but my mind keeps drifting back to him.

Back to Jerome Valeska.