Exposed (Part 1)

Why? Why is this happening to me? Why me?

Those were the words that were plaguing me as the taxi drove slowly through the streets of Gotham. The sky was turning to a dark gray as the sun went down, the moon coming to take its place. I have my earbuds in, but for this one time not even my music is a comfort to me.

I can feel the heavy weight of desperation on me. My chest feels like it did when I was sick with pneumonia back in third grade. I remember how my chest felt when my lungs were filled with the liquid, how every breath was a struggle, and how I coughed until my stomach ached almost to the point where I was gagging. I feel like that right now. This unforgiving heaviness...

I look down at all the papers and informational packets that the doctor gave me. The bright colors of the printed ink are such a contrast to my mood right now. There is so much I have to consider, and I have to make all these decisions on my own. No one can know the secret I'm carrying. Not even him.

The cab pulls up in front of my apartment, and I immediately notice the car parked in front of my building. I absently minded give the driver his fare as I gather all my papers and my bag and climb out. Maybe I can walk past him and he won't see me...

"Rhiannon is that you?"

Well shit. Why does he have to be here out of all people?

I pull the packets and papers close to my chest so he can't see what it is. I take a deep breath and I change the expression on my face to that of one being indifferent as I push my hair back.

"What are you doing here Detective Gordon?"

He moves from his slouched position against his car. I can't help but notice that he has a manila folder in his hand. He looks worn out, like damn I thought I looked bad. He looks like he hasn't slept in a few days. I wonder what's going on down at the GCPD. I haven't really paid attention to the news; I've been in my own little world.

"Rhiannon I need to ask you a few questions. Do you mind if we go inside?"

Even though I have nothing to hide, something is telling me to not let him inside my apartment. I shake my head when I tell him, "My apartment is a mess Detective. Can we just do it out here? I've been inside all day anyway, I need some fresh air."

He lets out a frustrated sigh but he nods in agreement. He pulls out a paper and turns it so that it is facing me.

Oh my gosh...that can't be him! That can't be! I let out a gasp and I put my hand to mouth to keep myself from crying out in shock. Gordon nods as though my actions have confirmed his suspicions whatever they may be.

"You know this man Rhiannon", he tells me his voice coming out like ice. I look up at him wide eyed. His voice is different, and I notice that his eyes are looking at me differently. He isn't acting like the Gordon I met when I woke up in the hospital. His eyes are hitting me like a million daggers and I find a cold sweat forming at the back of my neck. He is making me feel like I have done something, even though I haven't done anything wrong.

"Y-yeah. I know him. But how did you know that I-"

"We had the records pulled of all the victims. He was the only one who was a student at Gotham University. I had someone look into his records at the school and we looked at his classes. My helper went the extra mile and looked up all the class rosters he was in, and it turns out that you and him were in the same chemistry lab. We called up the lab teaching assistant and they confirmed for us that you two were lab partners."

I nod my head acknowledging everything he said as being true. "Yeah but what happened to him? You said victims! What's happened? And why does it matter if we had the same class?!" I say a little too loudly. I can hear the panic rising in my voice and I close my eyes to make everything around me from spinning.