fifty one

I can see the city lights of Tulsa as our planes nears the surface of the earth. Being night time on a flight has perks of pretty views like this one. Grayson is passed out beside me and since we will be landing in no time, I better wake him.

"Grayson." I nudge him. He just groans and leans further into me.

"Babe, wake up. We are about to land."

"No."

"Yes. Get up." I say, tickling his side which makes him jolt up. He gives me his sleepy glare and rubs his eyes. I watch as he runs his hands through his messed up hair and sighs.

Seconds later, the plans wheels meet the runway indicating we have arrived at Tulsa's International Airport. Grayson and I start to gather our things and wait to unbuckle when we are told.

We stand up and follow Emercyn and Ethan off of the airplane. Grayson interlocks his fingers with mine as we walk through the airport. Grayson is sleepier than normal and it's the cutest thing. He his a pillow wrapped around his neck and it makes his face seem a little puffy.

"This way, Em." I call to Emercyn and Ethan who are going the complete opposite way. I lead them to the baggage claim and we get our things. After we grab our bags, I shoot my mom a text letting her know we are waiting for her.

We walk out of the airport and search for my mom. When I see her brand new white jeep wrangler, we walk over to her. She gets out of her car and hugs the four of us.

"Are you guys hungry?" She asks when she hugs Grayson.

"Starving." Grayson replies.

"Sweet. We'll go get you guys some food and get you to bed." She explains before bringing me and Emercyn into a hug at the same time. She kisses our foreheads and squeezes again before she lets go.

We get into car and Emercyn takes the front because Grayson begged for me to sit in the back with him. He cuddles up to my in the car even though I got placed in the middle for being the shortest.

"Is Whataburger okay?" My mom asks.

"What's that?" Ethan asks.

"A burger place. You'll like it." Emercyn tells him. He nods his head and tells my mom that's fine. She goes to the nearest Whataburger and orders us all food. Grayson finally lifted off of me to eat his food.

By the time we are actually on our way home, it is almost midnight. I couldn't stop yawning which made Ethan elbow me here and there because it made him nod as well. I punched him to stop but he still did anyways.

"What time is the funeral tomorrow?" I ask my mom.

"Not till noon. I never shipped what Erica left for you. I thought since you were coming back I'd leave it in your room and you could check it out." I nodded my head as she looked at me in the review mirror.

I look over at Grayson and he was knocked out again. I laugh to myself as his head just bobs there because he didn't rest it against anything. I slowly grab it and lean him towards me, resting his head on my shoulder. He stirs a bit and grabs my waist to pull me closer to him.

Minutes later we are pulling into the garage of my childhood home. I guess I hadn't noticed because I had almost fallen asleep myself.

"Grayson get up we are here. You can go to bed now." I nudge him and he lifts himself up and stretches. I follow him out of the car and he takes my hand almost immediately.

"We'll come get our stuff in the morning." I tell my mom.

"Okay. Goodnight you two." My mom waves us off and gives us hugs as I lead Grayson into the house. I quietly drag him up the stairs figuring my dad is asleep and I don't want to wake him or Fiona.

When we get into my room we kick off our shoes and Grayson immediately takes his shirt off. Next came his pants and plopped on my bed before handing me his phone. I put it on the charger as well as mine and take my shirt, leaving me in a sports bra and nike leggings.

I turn on the ceiling fan and turn off the light before sliding into bed with Grayson. He wraps his arms arms me and I do the same to him. He hums and it vibrates through out his chest as he tangles our legs together. Moments later, sleep has taken over.

-

I put on my booties and walk down stairs where everyone is standing and waiting for me. The closer it got to noon, the more I felt like my stomach was going to fall out.

"Here." My mom says, handing me a box the said To: HayHay
             From: ur girl Erica

I take it slowly and already want to cry even thought I haven't seen what's inside. I open the box and can feel everyones eyes on me. Theres a note on top of some other things, but I grab the note first and open it.

Her familiar handwriting is sketched across the white paper and it makes me laugh as I remember we use to try and copy each others hand writing through out middle school. I take a deep breath to prepare myself for what I am going to read.

Dear Hayden,
    I'm writing you this note to let you know how much I love you. We have fallen out within the past year, but I know that's because you were going through some horrible things. I don't blame you for being distant but at first, I was upset you pushed me away. I now understand the pain you had gone through and I have been going through worse. I don't know how you were so strong. You didn't give up. You left but you didn't feel the need to leave. I feel like my life is ruined. my body is ruined. I can't look at myself and not want to throw up knowing what he did to me. What he did to us. I'm so sorry for everything but just know that I will always be looking over you. That i will always love every minute we have shared together. Inside the box is a present you gave me for my eighth birthday. A locket and a picture frame. I want you to
have those things and to never forget me. I love you and I am so happy that you are happy with someone who truly loves you. Tell Em and your family that I am
so thankful for everything they have done. Tell them I love them.
              all the love- Erica

I close my eyes and open them, wiping away a tear that had fallen. I put the letter aside and reach into the box, picking up the picture frame. It is a picture of us holding ducks in a kitty pool in my back yard. I had a bright pink cast on my left car and my hair was so light back then you'd think I was a blonde. Her blonde hair was so shiny and was identical to the duck she was holding. She had pigtails in both of her two front teeth were gone. I think we were seven at the time.

I laugh at the memory as I remember after the photo was taken, Emercyn came running through my house and got into kitty pool with us and we played with the ducks. Real live ducks. We named them Mary Kate and Ashley because we were obsessed with the Olsen Twins.

I grab the locket and inside is a picture of us when we were seven and a picture of us the we took almost a year ago. My heart breaks as I look at how fast time actually flies when you aren't even aware. I bit my lip and close the locket.

I look at my mom. She had tears in her eyes as I'm sure she is remember those memories as she was the photographer for most of our pictures when we were younger. Emercyn wraps me up in a hug and squeezes me tightly.

"All hail Mary Kate and Ashley." She mocks what Erica had said after we named the ducks. This made me laugh and hug her tighter.

"Dun dun dun... the strong and mighty princess ducklingggs!" I scream, finishing off the rest
of what Erica had said to us that day.

"She's probably laughing at the two of you." My dad laughs and we nod our heads. I look at Grayson who was smiling at me. I smile back and walk over to him, kissing his cheek.

"Love you so much."

"Love you too." He kisses my forehead making me smile.

"Okay let's head out." My mom says grabbing her keys from off kitchen table.

Forever you will be loved and thank you for all you did for me Erica. Love you forever and ever.