Chapter 41: The final countdown

-Defense calls Jillian Malie Clelland to the strand.

I shifted uncomfortably in my seat as my eyes followed carefully my sister's steps to the side of the judge. She peeked back for a moment and I made sure to receive her with a warm look and a peaceful smile. I tried to hide how much I hated doing this to her, but she had promised she could handled. She had insisted she was old enough to speak her own mind (many times as you can guess).

I swear for the couple minutes she sat there facing the crowd of curious eyes with an unreadable expression she looked older than ever. The name of Jillian Malie didn't respond to a little blonde girl with her two missing tooth anymore.

-Hello Jill, how are you?, Cassandra made a friendly approach but my sister was quick to show she was not interested in that circus.

-I've certainly been better, she said with a bitter tone lacing her words, earning a sympathetic smile from the judge.

-Jill do you know why we're all here?, Cassandra asked to the girl in the strand and she quickly shook her head yes.

-Yes I do. Because I don't want to live with my mother anymore, she stated coldly and peaked at the reaction of my mother.

Even being the mature girl she was, she was 13 years old after all. I knew she'd take her chance to pick at some of my mom's nerves while sitting on the strand... maybe a few mine too. Let's just hope she doesn't cross the line.

-Do you wanna tell us why you want that?, my lawyer continued as she started to pace around the room, giving everyone there a quick analyzing look before posing her orbs back on my sister.

-I think I have reached a certain age that allows me to make my own decisions. And after a lot of thinking I've decided that it's in my best interest to live here in Hawaii, Jill spoke directly to the judge who had all her attention on the girl with a good taste in vocabulary by her side.

-Tell me something Jill. How was your life like there in Boston?, Cassandra pushed slightly as Jillian seemed reluctant to directly point out my mother.

-It was good I guess, she shrugged without taking her eyes off the lawyer. She didn't sound so confident anymore.

-And what about your mom? Did you feel safe under her care?, she made now a more straight approach.

-No. I'm sorry, I didn't, Jill said lowering eyes to her lap. I myself did the same as I let out a deep breath.

It's not that we didn't love our mom, because we really did. I knew those two had some issues but in the end they loved each other, even when they'd constantly hurt themselves. The truth remained that she'd never stop being our mother.

Cassandra took a few steps closer to the strand and placed her hand right next to my sister's.

-You have nothing to be sorry for Jill, she spoke to her with empathy as my sister looked to the verge of tears for a moment.

-I know but I just wanna say something. I don't want to live here because she's a bad mother or whatever you've been calling her. She's just... she's never been ready to be my mom and I don't feel she has to. You can all judge her, but she is a successful woman and I'm proud of her in many aspects. I just... mom I can't live with you. Please understand that, Jillian said as a tear threatened to roll down her cheek as she looked straight into our mother's eyes. But my sister being the stubborn girl she is, she managed to keep herself in control.

A silence filled the room as they stared at each other without saying a word. Even my lawyer was left speechless for a few seconds until she cleared her throat to make another approach to my sister.