Chapter 2: Parenting duties Pt.1

-I’m so glad you said yes Steve! You’re not gonna regret it!, mom said hugging me tightly. Yeah, well now she had her summer vacation free of kids and I had a parental responsibility. Exciting.

-Hurry up sweetie!, she said to my sister. Oh man, this is so not good. Jill had that face. Eyebrows frowned, her bottom lip jutted in a pout and her cheeks slightly flushed. That only meant something: a big temper tantrum coming in 3... 2... 1...

-You didn’t even give her a clue until today, did you?, I hissed into my mom’s ear.

-Well I didn’t have your answer until today, did I?, she replied quickly and smiled to Jill. Smart ass.

-Come on Jill, give me a hug. I’m gonna miss you babygirl, mom said stretching her arms towards her.

-Yeah right, she replied with tons of attitude and then she did something that almost made me pass out: she stuck her tongue out to mom.

-Jill!, my mom said more whining than scolding. Ok, that was enough. It was about time for me to start dealing with my little sister’s behavior.

-Jillian you better apologize to mom right now, I said giving full use to my stern tone of voice and hardening my expression.

-Or what?!, she spat turning around to face me. Apparently the courage abandoned her as soon as she saw my dark blue eyes and my arms folded on my chest, both good signs that I was not kidding.

-I-I’m sorry mom, she said hugging her and biting her bottom lip. Another sign: she’d prefer to die than to do what she was told.

-It’s ok baby girl. Take care, she said giving her a quick squeeze and a kiss on her forehead.

After that my mom got into Noah’s car and took off. Another detail she omitted last night: Noah came with them to take mom to their vacations and told Jill she was going with them. Sometimes I’m surprised by her cruelty. Jill waved her, and I think she had her eyes full of tears, but she was too proud to cry in front of me. Or at least that’s what I thought for a while.

-Come on Jill. Let’s head inside, I told her wrapping an arm around her shoulders protectively and stroked her side.

-Ok, she said with a deep sigh, some sniffles already perceptible.

-What do you say if I show you your room?, I told her with a warm smile, starting to walk inside.

-You already have a room for me bro?, she said sounding a little bit confused.

-Well I still have my old room, but we can turn it into your room and it’ll stay like that for you when you come visit me. How does that sound?, I said doing my best to cheer her spirit up.

-Ok, she said while nodding her head, not even half excited as I thought she’d be. When she’s distressed she looks like a five years old girl all over again.

-Come on Jill, cheer up. I’m not that bad..., I trailed off with a teasing edge. She tried to give me a smile but her lips didn’t move far.

-I’m not in the mood brother. Sorry, she said hiding her face.

-Well then I’ll lift you up, I said picking her up in my arms and carrying her little body while tickling her sides, making her squirm like crazy. She started to laugh batting my hands away.

-Stop it Stevie! I promise I’ll cheer up, just don’t tickle me!, she said while laughing in between of each word. I looked at her playfully serious.

-You promise?, I said lifting an eyebrow and tickling her some more, just for good measure.

-Yeah I promise. Pleeease, she pleaded for mercy. I stopped the tickle fight and carried her to my old room, where I still my former bed. I really don’t know how, but she fell asleep in my arms on the way there, so I carefully put her down on the bed and shut the door to give her a break.