Chapter 7: Dangerous roads

I woke up at sun raising as every single day. For a change I didn't find Jill snuggling with me, so I got a little worried. It's not a routine of course, but I thought she might want to go to sleep with me, since she seemed to have many concerns in her mind yesterday. We both feel better when we have some company you know. Sometimes I feel pretty lonely in my place, since I don't really have any other family here since my dad moved away somewhere.

I got up, looking for my deep asleep sister, since I didn't think she'd be up at this time. I called her name a couple of times, but I had no answer. I started to search in her room, the kitchen, the backyard... nothing. Where the hell was she? Finally I saw her sleeping on the couch. I took a deep breath of relief. Hell, she scared me. Oh come on Steven, she wouldn't be capable of sneaking outside while you're sleeping. She isn't that much of troublemaker. I gently ran my fingers through her hair until she opened her eyes.

-Hey monkey. What are you doing sleeping on the couch?, I said to her in a whisper.

My sister slightly opened her eyes to look at me. She stretched her arms with a huge yawn that showed me she hadn't slept a bit last night. I've spent a few nights on the couch, and let me tell you, it's not comfortable at ALL.

-Morning... I couldn't sleep last night and I didn't want to bother you. I know you need to rest as much as possible so I came here to watch TV until I fell asleep, she said rolling over and closing her eyes again. This was going to be a very hard chore. I sat down next to her and kept on caressing her blondie hair and stroking her side.

-Well next time come and sleep with me. I don't mind if you wake me up honestly, and it's nice to have some company you know, I said smiling at her but she still had her eyes closed, Why couldn't you sleep sis?

-Dunno. Just couldn't, she said finally getting up and sitting on the couch. I wrapped an arm around her shoulders and kissed her forehead. Poor Jill, she was exhausted, so I decided to give her a little incentive to start her day with a huge smile and full of happiness. Since I still had to work all day, I wanted her to have a positive attitude.

-Why don't you get dressed and I'll make a tasty breakfast for us? Maybe, I don't know... waffles?, I said and a smile draw across her face in a second. We both like cereals, but the taste of warm recently made waffles is just too good to deny. It's literally heaven.

-Sure. I'll be right back, she said jumping out of the couch and heading to her room to pick an outfit. Hmp, probably it will take her forever. I better get started on breakfast, or I'll be late for work.

I quickly mixed eggs, flour, butter, milk and a little bit of salt. I constantly wonder why these kind of recipes needs salt. I mean, what does the salt does to the mix? I don't get it, but oh well. I just know my aunt's recipe for the perfect waffles. The secret was to add a little bit of cocoa to the mix. I swear, they're the best waffles ever. And with chocolate hot sauce? Twice better. And twice harder is the stomachache you get after eating that time bomb.

Apparently the smell of the waffles attracted a little mouse that snuck into the kitchen and tried to eat the crude mix with a spoon when I surprised her.

-Jill don't eat that! You're gonna have a terrible stomachache if you do, I said trying to stop her by grabbing the spoon she had with one hand and not to burn our breakfast at the same time. Two things too hard to do at the same time, since Jill was giving me a pretty good fight.

-Who cares? I'll suffer the consequences of my acts, she said still trying to spoon a globe of the mix into her mouth. I know is delicious, but raw eggs mixed with chocolate are certainly not good for her stomach.

-Yeah, well... the consequences will be your brother giving you a spanking so stop that, I chuckled and put the bowl away from her.

She sat down on the counter, looking at the waffles impatiently. I swear, she was eating them with her eyes and so I was.