Chapter 14: Catching waves and earning a date

When we finally got to the beach (after Jill took ages changing her outfit as usual) we found a nice place to sit down all together on the sand. It was me, my sister, Cath, Danny and his little daughter Gracie. We were fooling around, talking about some random stuff. That day there were particulary many surfers in the area, which brought Jill to start talking about the surf lessons I give to her. More like bluffing I'd say, which is typical of her. Only that today she found herself facing a better fighter, someone who could beat her down on her own game: my dear and as well very immature friend Daniel.

-Steve says I learn really fast, she said with a huge smile on her face, Probably I'll be catching waves very soon...

-Well to tell you the truth Jill..., Danny said with a giggle busting her ass.

Wrong move dude. You really pissed my sister off this time. I think her head was about to explode, specially when Gracie started laughing too. Oh my God...

-What Daniel? C'mon, spit it out, she said burning him with his look.

I frowned at her and to Danny too. Why he had to put my sister into the bratty mood?

-Jillian..., I warned her but she didn't even listen to me.

-Come on Jill, I'm just looking out for you, Danny pretended, A delicate and fragile lady like you could get hurt out there. Maybe you just don't have the required experience yet.

-Oh come on Danny, that's not true, Cath luckily stepped in Jill's defense, I've seen Jill during her surfing lessons, and I think she's taking Steve's lessons really well.

-Oh yeah?, Jill said glaring at my dumb friend, Well if you're oh so sure that I can't catch a wave Daniel, you might want put some money in your mouth.

-Jillian, stop it, I said giving her a stern look.

She couldn't talk to Danny that way, not even when he totally deserved it. And believe me, he did deserve it. I couldn't understand why did he enjoy fighting a 13 years old girl. He has fun teasing everyone, but my sis was the wrong person to tease.

-C'mon Steve. We're just fooling around, he said patting my back for me to relax, Of course I know your lil sister can be a great surfer... on sand.

That was it. I couldn't control Jillian anymore, so she stood up facing my friend and grabbing something from her beach bag. I rubbed my face in frustration. What was she gonna do now?

-I bet you 50 bucks I can catch a wave right here, right now, she said showing him a 50 dollars bill in her hands, the other one on her hip. Oh damn it.

-That's not gonna happen Jill, I told her glaring at Danny for him to take the hint to shut his mouth.

Why? Why does he always acts like a toddler? Why did he just put me in this situation? Now we have a big discussion coming, because Jill wasn't gonna take a No for an answer so easily.

-But Steve!, she said stomping her foot before blinking, a clear sign that she just got an idea, Wait a minute. What if my brother and I catch a wave together? Do you wanna bet?, she said putting 50 dollars right next to Danny's hand. Where the hell did she got that money anyways? I could think about a few options.

-Well I'm willing to risk some coins to see that happening, he said giving us a funny smirk.

Ok, I was in as well. Nobody makes fun of my skills, specially my surfing skills, and specially Daniel. We were gonna beat him down.

Fortunately I have a pretty long board, so Jill sat down on the front of while I started paddling further, heading deeper into the sea. No way I was letting my sister do this all by herself, at least not for the moment. Also there was absolutely no way I was letting Danny mock of me and my skills, any of the many of them. I'll show you Daniel Williams. Maybe that way he'll shut up, at least for the rest of the day.