Chapter 21: One of many fears

I woke up at 6 am because of my phone. I glanced at the screen and saw Danny was calling, so I quickly picked up. I feel a huge rush everytime this happens, since everytime he calls at this point of the day it can only mean trouble.

-McGarrett, I said with a yawn that I just couldn't help. I wasn't feeling like working honestly, much less with Danny's jokes. It was by far too early for that, even for me.

-Sorry to wake you up sleeping beauty, Danny said laughing on the other side of the phone and then getting serious, But we have a situation and we're needed. Be at the central as soon as possible.

-What happened?, I asked while jumping of the bed and grabbing one of my T-shirts and camouflage pants. At least I never lose time by choosing an outfit, because all my clothes are pretty much the same.

-We have a body in the trunk of a car, male, white, around 40. The car was parked near the coast, he said as I could hear him driving, probably on his way to the central, No ID, no phone, no nothing, but we have a match on the M.O. It's similar to a gang we've already checked.

-Don't tell me, I said with knowledge while putting my shoes on and taking a guess, The Yakuza.

-Exactly. We need to catch them all this time Steve.

-Don't worry, we will, I said grabbing my car keys, I'm on my way. Meet me there.

Before I left I went to my sister's room to wake her up. I didn't want to leave her alone with just a note, so I sat down next to her and caressed her hair until she opened her eyes. I was just hoping she'd be too asleep to ask any kind of questions.

-What? It's early, even for you Stevie, she said with her eyes narrowed, her head still on the pillow.

-I have a situation at work sis, I said caressing her blondie hair, I don't really know how long it's going to take, but you know you can call me anytime, and you have Cath also, ok?

-Yeah sure, she said sitting on her bed and rubbing her face a bit before looking at me, But I'm scared Stevie. What if something happens to you?

-It won't. You have nothing to worry about, I said trying to calm her down.

Actually, the Yakuza were a no joke gang, but I couldn't tell her that. She had no need to know, and I was going to be extra careful, as I always am when it comes to my job and my squad.

-You don't know that, she said raising her tone at me, I don't want to sit here and wait to see if you come home in one piece.

-Jill it's my job, ok?, I said getting stern with her, There's nothing I can do. They need me, but I promise you I'll be careful, as I always am, and that I'll be back as soon as possible.

-That's not true, you can't promise that, she said getting mad at me with tears in her eyes, This is just not fair. I hate your job!.

Oh please, it was just too early for a tantrum, and I was not in the mood, especially after what happened yesterday.

-Don't raise your tone at me young lady, I scolded her pointing to her with my finger, I don't like this any more than you do, but I don't have a choice. You'll stay in here till I get back, you'll call Cath if you need something, and I'll be at home as soon as possible. You are not going anywhere but here, do you understand me Jill?

-Fine, she said raising her tone again and laying on the bed again, covering her head with a pillow.

I didn't really have time for this, so I ran to my car and drove to the central to meet my partners. I needed to get this Jill subject out of my head, but for some reason, I'm never able to. She's always my first concern, and I hate to leave her alone, especially after a fight, but I really didn't have much of a choice. I guess it comes with the territory of being the chief of a special squad.